Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #1 
Alex09

New 10 gallon!

Just got a new 10 gallon tank from walmart for $12. It was just the tank - no filter, hood, or light but I think it was well worth it. I saw a 5 gallon kit but it was like $35. I have it halfway filled, I like it like this, I enjoy having a top view of the fish. i may even add some bog blants and make a riparium! [link] I installed a barely used heater I had lying around the house and The temperature is at a steady 80F. I just hope he's not overwhelmed my the vastness of his new tank :P

PICS:

Some questions:
1. How often do I have to clean it? there is no filter just 2 live plants - I will add more soon. I DID buy a gravel vacuum cleaner. I figured a change 2x a week one 50% and one 75%? Or should I do a 50% and then a 100%?

2. What are some low plants? The tank is inly 50% filled and I dont want anything that grows too big. Also what are some hardy floating plants?

3. If I DO decide to get a filter later on down the road what would you recommend? I want something REALLY quiet as im a light sleeper and gurguling splashing water may be a problem.

Last edited by Alex09; 09-01-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

Nice looking tank and a good idea on the bog plant thing. Would love to try that someday!!

For a quiet filter & with that low of a water level maybe you should try a small internal filter - one that actually sits under the water.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #3 
Drift

Your tank is really cute. He shall enjoy the space soon enough. The more to explore the better! :)
I'm not sure about the water changes. I do my 10 gallons once a week but they're all the way full and divided and have two bettas. The water parameters never get to the point of showing anything if I do it once a week 25% changes plus with all my live plants absorbing the ammonia.
The most awesome low light level plant that doesn't grow tall is moss! If you're willing to order off line you can find many awesome moss types.
Java moss, christmas moss, star moss, marimo balls, moss balls, jumbo moss balls, and there are other's I am sure. Moss balls are cool because they can be tossed any where and you just rotate them every so often. Marimo balls are adorable but expensive. I really want some and will purchase them after I recover from all my other fish purchases. XD
Java fern and Anubias Nana (round leaf) are other options. Hornwort is a good floating plant, but beware it sheds needle like crazy. I have water sprite that I float around the top for a while and plant it when it gets larger. Not sure how big they get though as mine got killed by medicine used for a molly and are all re-growing. They reproduce like crazy too. I'm not very well plant experienced and am learning, so hopefully someone else will come along and add some input.

For filters on my 10 gallon I use the Red Sea Nano filters, one on each side as mine is split. I haven't found anything quieter than they are with a water flow that doesn't need baffled. However, you have to have the water filled all the way up and would need a top. Tops can be cheaply made with some plexiglass and saw out squares for filter and heater cords.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #4 
Alex09

Thanks guys. For plants I will just buy some more java fern and maybe some anubias :) I will also look for plant fertilizer and some driftwood - I just love the look of planted tanks with driftwood. Will have to wait for a few weeks though, I spent enough on the tank for now lol.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #5 
ReyesBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Thanks guys. For plants I will just buy some more java fern and maybe some anubias :) I will also look for plant fertilizer and some driftwood - I just love the look of planted tanks with driftwood. Will have to wait for a few weeks though, I spent enough on the tank for now lol.
Lol I'm always broke too because of bettas.. and a very hungry mouse-devouring snake.. I get money and a second later its "grandma will you drive me to Petsmart?!"
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #6 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyesBetta View Post
Lol I'm always broke too because of bettas.. and a very hungry mouse-devouring snake.. I get money and a second later its "grandma will you drive me to Petsmart?!"
Whats worse for me is that I can drive myself to the store so there's no one there to deny me - not to mention I drive by the petco when I commute to school. Yesterday I spent around $50 on all this stuff. Oh well, I'm going to limit myself to $20 next time I go to petco to buy decor. Walmart didn't have any good decorations that I saw- otherwise I would have spent more.