Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #1 
c4talys7

Question Just did a partial water change and...

My Betta is at the bottom of the tank and it looks like he is breathing heavily. This is my fist partial water change with him and I don't know if he is just mad that he got taken out of his tank and stuff or if something is wrong. It happen right when I put him back in the water.

I live in Hawaii so the tap water here is okay for Betta fish to swim in but I conditioned it anyways but I'm not sure if I mixed it well enough. I didn't add a full dose, which is a cap-full for a .5gal tank which is what I have. I put about 1/4 of a cap in. Help?
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 AM   #2 
c4talys7

More info

He is still kinda swimming around and isn't completely on the bottom of the tank. He goes up for air when he needs it too.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #3 
LoveSGSE

I assume you just got him right? New bettas need to get used to their first water changes. Also, when you do water changes, make sure the temperature is similar to the old water temperature. So that he wouldn't be shocked. They will also need at least 5 mims to get used to new water being added in as fishes are very sensitive.
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #4 
FuulieQ

A half gallon tank is pretty small. But that's probably not what's causing the problem at this point.

In Hawaii, you guys don't put chlorine or anything in your water? I would still add the full dose of conditioner, just in case there's something else, you know?

He'll probably be okay. My fish gets mad at me when I mess with his tank, too. :)
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #5 
c4talys7

Yeah he calmed down after a little while. But yeah there's nothing added to the water here but I still put the conditioner in. He's doing much better now. Thank you guys for your help!