Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #1 
Welsh

High Protein Foods

Can you feed bettas meat? by this I don't mean bloodworms but proper meat like the stuff we eat? Am I just being stupid?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #2 
Welsh

What about earth worms? you know the ones we get outside in gardens and that? I really want to feed my bettas live food and since their tails are both chewed up live foods will help repair them faster but the thing is, my mother will kill me if I put bugs in the freezer and I don't really fancy having a culture of worms or whatever because that sort of thing freaks me out lol but earth worms I can put up with, so what you think?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

I read somewhere you could feed them extra lean ground beef but I couldn't find it to give you the link.
TThe frozen bloodworms don't really look like worms in the freezer. They come packed in individual cubes, like cold medicine pills.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #4 
Laurenie

They could eat earthworms, but you'd have to pinch them apart into very very small pieces which is kinda hard cuz you have to do it with your fingernails (trust me I know from experience lol). Mine go crazy for live wingless fruit flies. I buy a jar with the culture and everything at Petco and all I have to do is tap a few in their water each day. The culture lasts for well over a month too and isn't really gross or anything. And yeah, you can get frozen bloodworms, daphnia, krill, brine shrimp, etc that doesn't really look gross at all in the freezer. I think its important to vary the diet as much as possible so adding in live in frozen foods is a great idea.
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I use human grade shrimp in my homemade food for my fish and have not had any problems, also, red worm are fine too, chop them up in bite size pieces....make sure they are red worms and not manure worms, (you will know by the smell and more segments in manure worms)

Careful with feeding some human grade food products that contain high fats..fouls the water..like raw beef, chicken, pork

Just about any bug is good too, most fish will not eat something that is not good for them..I say most not all...lol......

Make sure no chemicals, pesticides or pollution etc.....have come in contact with any collected food items for the fish....when in doubt...don't use it....better safe than sorry.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #6 
Welsh

I do want to vary my bettas diet but at the moment I'm more concerned about repairing Elmos fins since he now looks like a crowntail and i'm hoping the higher protein diet will help speed up the process.

My father used to fish when I was a kid and so I asked him what bait to tackle shops stock and he named a few, bloodworm being one of them so I think i'm gonna give this a try, the big plus is that they do live or frozen so its not so bad lol
Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I can't say in your neck of the woods that this is done, but here in my neck of the wood the live bait-especially red worm can have an additive added to them so they will live longer and this chemical has been reported by some hobbyist that it has caused problems when fed to their tropical fish and since it is a non-food item for humans that it is often not regulated or listed as part of the product here in the USA....just saying......

Never heard anything about frozen baits thou........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote