Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #1 
BettaResearch

What's your opinion about...

v
Hello there. I would love to hear about your experiences with Bettaís and your thoughts on their habitat and care. Your opinion is important because I am developing a new Betta product and want to make sure it is the best it can be for both you and your beloved fish!

It may seem a little weird to be asking people on a forum if they would participate in a 10 minute phone call but I spent weeks researching Betta resources on the web and am convinced that this is THE place for Betta fish owners! While I am amazed by the amount of great info and wisdom found on this forum, Iíve found that thereís nothing like actually speaking with somebody to gain a true understanding of their thoughts and feelings on a subject.

Iím interested in the opinions of both beginners and experts alike so your participation is appreciated regardless of your level of experience. To participate please send me an email at BettaResearch@hotmail.com and let me know when you are available to speak. After we arrange a time I will give you a toll-free number to call for our chat. (We can also use Skype if you prefer or live outside the USA.)

Thank you in advance for your help!
BettaResearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #2 
BettaLover101

Why not just e-mail or PM users on here? You would get the same answers and it would save you the trouble of long distance phone calls. Just a thought, I'd be happy to chat but either through e-mail or PM.
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #3 
Adastra

Oh geez, the last thing the world needs are more "betta products"--here at this forum we train people that any product you see with a giant picture of a healthy betta on it is usually a death trap.

Want some real research material? Go to your local Petco and look at their betta display. Under the cups you'll see all kinds of examples of what betta responsible betta owners don't want. Low quality food, unsuitable and expensive bottled betta water, shoddily made and inaccurate mini-heaters, miniature plastic plants and decor that rip ins, diluted medications that are completely worthless, and tiny over-styled betta "tanks" that are really just tricked-out coffins.

Tell me what you're planning on tricking people into killing their bettas with next, and then we'll talk.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #4 
BettaResearch

Actually, the reason why I am asking people on this forum to respond is because Iíve been reading posts on here for some time now and respect the knowledge and opinions of people who post here. We donít want to harm fish which is why I am asking people on this forum for help! Would you rather me talk to employees at Petco and get their take on what a suitable Betta product is or ask knowledgable people like you and create a product that is great for both you and your fish? Think about it.

And whatís wrong with new Betta products, anyway? If the oneís out there are really that bad for the fish then doesnít it make sense to support the development of products that would help improve the lives of Bettaís? After all, if all innovation were so bad then we would all be sending these messages via carrier pigeon and not the web!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #5 
Adastra

I've experienced nothing but utter disappointment in many aspects of the pet industry. The particular problem with products targeted toward betta owners is just that. If it's "only suitable for a betta" it's not a quality product. The misconception here is that bettas don't have the same needs as other tropical fish. They aren't their own special category. The only thing that makes them unique--and highly exploitable--is the fact that they're a domesticated species that can take a lot of abuse compared to other tropical species, they have a unique aesthetic appeal, and they have unique behavioral quirks that have been exaggerated through hundreds of years of selective breeding for species aggression. The way the pet industry markets their "betta products" is deceptive and cruel to both the betta as well as to the consumer who was fooled into killing their fish.

I don't mean to be rude to you, whoever you may be, but the point that I'm trying to get across here is that I've sat here on these and other forums like it constantly having to repeat myself over and over and over again. "Your tank is too small; you need a heater; no, not that one; the light on that tank is causing temperature fluctuations; that plant is too sharp; you shouldn't leave that mirror in the tank; that medication won't work; that food has no nutritional value." Sometimes we're too late and the fish die. The world would be a much better place if none of these "betta products" existed.

Thanks for presenting me with the opportunity to express my feelings toward the betta industry to someone representing it. It felt kinda good.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-03-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #6 
naturegirl243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
I've experienced nothing but utter disappointment in many aspects of the pet industry. The particular problem with products targeted toward betta owners is just that. If it's "only suitable for a betta" it's not a quality product. The misconception here is that bettas don't have the same needs as other tropical fish. They aren't their own special category. The only thing that makes them unique--and highly exploitable--is the fact that they're a domesticated species that can take a lot of abuse compared to other tropical species, they have a unique aesthetic appeal, and they have unique behavioral quirks that have been exaggerated through hundreds of years of selective breeding for species aggression. The way the pet industry markets their "betta products" is deceptive and cruel to both the betta as well as to the consumer who was fooled into killing their fish.

I don't mean to be rude to you, whoever you may be, but the point that I'm trying to get across here is that I've sat here on these and other forums like it constantly having to repeat myself over and over and over again. "Your tank is too small; you need a heater; no, not that one; the light on that tank is causing temperature fluctuations; that plant is too sharp; you shouldn't leave that mirror in the tank; that medication won't work; that food has no nutritional value." Sometimes we're too late and the fish die. The world would be a much better place if none of these "betta products" existed.

Thanks for presenting me with the opportunity to express my feelings toward the betta industry to someone representing it. It felt kinda good.
Could not have said it better myself!
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #7 
BettaResearch

Hi Adastra. What you said makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your wholehearted response. I understand why you are angry at the betta industry. I got the sense that itís the general feeling around here. Thatís why Iím here asking for peopleís thoughts.

Iím not really in the pet industry. My buddy and I love fish and want to make a career out of our hobbies. I work in a cubicle and live in a small apartment. Sometimes I feel like a Betta in one of those horrible half-gallon tanks! Iím just trying to work myself into a more desirable situation Ė and not at the expense of Betta!

You see, I agree that Betta are being abused Ė and thatís exactly why we need better products for them! Letís face it, whether we like it or not there are tonís of Betta fish and products being sold under false pretenses every day. Wouldnít it be nice if there was actually a product that made Betta as happy as the fish depicted on its product packaging?

If we can send a man to the moon we can surely create a quality Betta product. Thatís why Iím on here asking for your opinions and NOT taking my cues from the exploiters. After all, I wouldnít need to do this research if I wanted to make another junk product.

And thank you very much for your comments. I am learning a lot by just communicating with you like this. I kind of feel like we share some of the same concerns. I just need to do a better job communicating what Iím doing here (and I probably should have gotten a less serious screen name, too!)
Old 09-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

I agree that products geared toward one specific animal are usually a crapshoot.. look at all the "gold fish starter kits' that are tanks under 20 gallons.

Maybe if you told us more about your product we could be better suited to help you. As Adastra mentioned there are many betta products out there and most (if not all) of them are worthless when it comes to bettas. What is it your developing exactly? Food, decoration, tank?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #9 
BettaResearch

My biz partner and I have some idea's for a few things but we're really on here to talk with people and get an in-depth understanding of the problems and nuisances that people have with the products they own. As far as I'm concerned almost anything can be improved upon. I'm just trying to figure out where the greatest impact can be made.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

I personally would like to see a reliable adjustable heater for tanks 1 gallons and larger. Unfortunately its very hard to adequately heat a body of water that size.

Besides that the biggest problem is not the products themselves.. its the fact that they are being misappropriated. They are being sold as acceptable to use when in fact they aren't. There are plenty of great products available to betta fanciers if they just took the time to properly educate themselves on proper care. Like Adastra said, Bettas have similar care needs as those of all other tropical fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote