Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #1 
betta99

Fish committing suicide?

I know that they're not really committing suicide, but two of my Silver hatchetfish have died in an 8 hour span, from the most random and unlucky causes. First, one of my fish fries himself by jumping onto the plastic shield that covers one of the aquarium lights. And apparently last night, another one died. You know how hooded tanks have a hole in them to put an outside-hanging filter? Well the hole is just slightly larger than the filter, so there's still a little room for a fish to jump out through. And a second hatchetfish did just that. It was a baby too. It had never jumped before. Am I doing something wrong? I know they're not intentionally killing themselves but now my tank population has been nearly decimated, and I want to know if they're just trying to get more air or if they jump naturally. I've had a problem with them jumping before too. Once two of the big ones jumped out of a temporary tank while I cleaned out the large one (don't worry, at least they were saved that time). I'm scared for the last four. I have the tank on lockdown right now lol. I put a net over the lights and a net over the hole for the filter too. Does anyone know of a way to calm fish down? Like aquarium salt or a higher/lower temp?
betta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

It sounds to me like your water may be a bit bad... or have something bad in it... I would get it tested or do a full water change and rinse w/ a 5% bleach solution.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #3 
betta99

okay ill try that. thanks
betta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, it could be a water quality problem.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #5 
Rawriie

Have you taken the pH of your water? Maybe you should... && Ive had this problem too, except with a crab o-o He got out of his aquarium somehow and left it...I`ve always wondered why, and concluded that he might have commited suicide Dx
Rawriie is offline   Reply With Quote