Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #1 
rachel1811

Unhappy Biting his own tail

Po has been biting his tail 2day. He now only has half. I dont think hes stressed coz hes gone bright red again ( he goes brownish when hes off)

I dunno if hes bored??? His tank is next to the platys n he watches them thru the glass. Does he need something to play with? He has 3 flower pot cave things and 5 plants.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks

Rx
rachel1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #2 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel1811 View Post
Po has been biting his tail 2day. He now only has half. I dont think hes stressed coz hes gone bright red again ( he goes brownish when hes off)

I dunno if hes bored??? His tank is next to the platys n he watches them thru the glass. Does he need something to play with? He has 3 flower pot cave things and 5 plants.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks

Rx
Some Bettas are just neurotic this way.

Try putting a ping-pong ball in the tank, so he can push it around to play with..

It's a great boredom reliever.

Best way to grow his tail back is Fresh clean regularly changed water.(with dechlorinator)
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #3 
Welsh

Both of my males have done this now. My RT stopped about a month or so ago when I re-decorated his tank and added some RCS and now his tail is growing back lovely but my HM looks more like a CT and i'm not treating him for 10 days with Aq salt to see if it will make a difference, I also added a lot of things to his tank and i've never seen a bigger bubblenest lol my point is...... maybe Po is bored, I know when i'm bored I bite my nails....don't know if its the same but my mother hates it haha.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #4 
rachel1811

Thanks for replies. Iv given him a ping pong ball. What else could he have? Dont say 1 of those logs because i can only get imported ones which cost the earth. Any ideas plz?

Thanks

Rx
Old 09-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #5 
Welsh

Well, since I am treating my HM with Aq salt I had to remove everything from his tank including his little snail friend an oto along with the driftwood that had java moss attached, he was moping around and looking depressed so I decided to add 2 beer bottles sealed with aquarium silicone and some rocks and he hasn't bit his tail yet, thankfully How is your filter flow? a strong filter current can mess with a bettas fins and make them stressed
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #6 
rachel1811

he doesnt look good

Hes now not eating or swimming

Advice followed but can c nothing wrong
Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #7 
BlueHaven

Try using Nutrafin's water conditioner for bettas, it has almond leaf extract in it. It's a small bottle, but it should help him alot.
I hope he gets better soon, have you checked his water quality?
Maybe he's just bored of his food. You coudl try rearanging a few things in his tank or adding/switching something out?
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote