Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #1 
Itsonme

help please betta sick

like you i have a betta fish have had him for nearly 3 years now he has been sick for quite some time i always thought it was just because he was so old but recently i got him a new tank w/heater filter plants and stuff so hes not cramped in his old bowl and i took an interest into why he isnt swimming around so much

symptoms: lays at bottom of bowl all day comes up for air thats it
runs directly into the gravel when he swims back down
barely eats and spits out his food alot
looks pale
he may be losing some of his fins im not quite sure

i have pics of him from his old bowl it was small i am sorry i try
http://i56.tinypic.com/2ijqdfm.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2q8zo69.jpg

if you can tell me what he most likely has and how to treat it i will do my best to treat him right away i have very few local fish stores but if it can be found at walmart or on the web if u know where to help me out
Itsonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #2 
Adastra

Poor thing. Can you tell me how big his container is now and how often you change the water? Do you have a water test kit? He's probably sick due to complications stemming from ammonia poisoning--when you look at him from above, do his scales stick out from his body at all, even slightly like a pinecone, or is the fish perfectly smooth? In one of the pictures they look like they're starting to stick out a bit--this can be a sign of organ failure.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-03-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #3 
Itsonme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Poor thing. Can you tell me how big his container is now and how often you change the water? Do you have a water test kit? He's probably sick due to complications stemming from ammonia poisoning.
he has a 1.5 gal tank all to himself now i cant really afford anything bigger it has a heater and i keep track of temp + run ait filter but i dont test the water and i change it once a month but its still new
Old 09-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #4 
Adastra

No wonder.

Fish constantly excrete a poisonous substance called ammonia from their gills--it's basically how fish urinate. In nature, this ammonia is diluted by large quantities of water and it is consumed by live plants, and converted into less toxic compounds by beneficial bacteria. In small tanks where there's no bacteria, no plants, and not much water to dilute the ammonia, the tank can very quickly become a toxic deathsoup.

A 1.5 gallon container needs to be changed and cleaned every other day. This sounds like a lot, but ammonia is highly toxic. The only safe amount of ammonia to have in your water is 0, nothing, and the only way to do this in a tank this small is by very frequent 100% water changes and cleanings. When you do your water change, you should put your fish in another container, dump out the old water and wash everything in the tank, including decorations, plants, gravel, and the tank itself with hot water so that all of the feces, uneaten food, and ammonia residue is washed away, then fill the tank with tap water that is the same temperature of the water you poured out. Add dechlorinator and wait about 5 minutes for the nitrogen to outgas. Then you should float your fish in the water. Over the course of about 20 minutes, you should pour the old water out of the betta cup, and pour in new water from the tank to replace it at intervals until the cup is filled with new water. Then it is safe to release your fish.

For now, I would change the water that your fish is in immediately and do water changes every other day from now on. You should hopefully see some improvement if the fish isn't already in organ failure. If you can find it, some methylene blue should help. It's a good treatment for ammonia poisoning and should help fight off any external parasites that might be bothering him. Try to get a methylene blue medication that has no other ingredient aside from methylene blue itself.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-03-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #5 
Itsonme

from what i read it just seems like he has ICK

i agree with what you said and will try to change his water much more but some of that stuff isnt within my power and i know this sounds very cruel but he has been like this for most of his life so if he was going to have organ failure i think it would have already happened

i care alot about this fish and am going to try my best to make it better but changing his water once every other day doesn't seem like it will help
Old 09-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #6 
Adastra

What's the point of asking for advice if you aren't going to take it? I'm sorry if I seem rude, but you're simply ignoring logic for your own convenience and your fish is going to die because of it. I've cared for many bettas for many years, I'm not telling you this because I have nothing better to do than tell lies to people over the internet for my own amusement. I want to help you.

I can tell from the picture that his scales are beginning to stick out, when they should be perfectly flat without any definition. This occurs as a result of fluid buildup--this fluid builds up under the skin because the kidneys have been damaged and can no longer regulate the fluids going in and out of the fish. If you would like, you can look it up yourself. This is a condition called dropsy.

From what I can see, the fish does not have ich. If it did, I wouldn't be surprised since ich is also caused by complications due to ammonia poisoning. Ich looks like small white salt-like grains scattered all over the fish.

This happened because you won't face the facts. Think about it, what would happen if you lived in a sealed closet, and your pee was vapor instead of liquid, and someone only opened the door once a month. Oh, and imagine that the only water you were given had pee in it, too, since fish have to drink in their tank water. Your lungs would burn, and the poison would wear on your system until you were dead. It would be extremely painful, the ammonia would prick at your skin, it would burn your eyes and your nose.

The idea that my theory isn't possible because the fish has been like this for so long is pure ignorance--bettas are very resilient fish compared to other tropical species. They can take a lot of abuse, but it doesn't mean you should intentionally torture them with prolonged ammonia exposure.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-03-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #7 
Itsonme

ok im heading to local fish store right now to pick up some methlyne blue i called them and gave them a head's up to make sure they had it and im going to change his water today and hopefully atleast once a week i have no idea how im going to make sure its the same temperature though

like i said i have had this fish for nearly 3 years and i want nothing more then for him to be better thats the entire reason i bought him a new tank to begin with i feel bad for him

if you have any other advice or things i should be doing let me know

this is a picture of his current living environment
http://chotto.ath.cx/uploads/happfrank.png

filter ont he right heater on the left

i have very limited funds which i am now going to spend on medication that cost 2x as much as the fish do(as the clerk at the store so kindly told me)
Old 09-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #8 
Adastra

I'm not 100% sure it's going to be that helpful if the fish is already in organ failure. You might also want to consider picking up some epsom salts to help relieve some of the fluid buildup. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, and it is a diuretic--it might help him turn around if he still has it in him.

Even if it doesn't cure him, it will make him more comfortable during the time he has left. I use a thermometer to tell the temperature. If you cannot get a thermometer, you can put the cup with the old water and the betta in it next to the new water--dip your finger in the old water and then dip your finger in the new water immediately--if you feel a temperature difference, adjust the water until they feel the same to you. It's not a perfect system, but it should be good enough.

Betta keeping really isn't a cheap hobby, as I'm sure you've learned. The fish itself is the cheapest purchase you will make. But keep in mind that when you buy a fish and purchase equipment to go along with him, you're making an investment. Bettas can live upwards of 7 years when they're given proper care. Quality equipment can help you greatly reduce the amount of work and future expenses you have to cover. There are some really great ways that I've learned to cut costs--ordering online, using craigslist and freecycle whenever possible, and repurposing non-aquarium items. Some of the best betta tanks out there aren't actually fish tanks at all--plastic storage bins are only about $3 for 4 gallons of space for your fish to roam.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #9 
Itsonme

ok what ive done is purchased some fresh water aqarium salt and i coulndt get that methelyne blue or w/e it was if i can purchase it online cheap somewhere i will buy asap called several stores none had it

so if u can link me or i can do my own research in a bit im commited to trying to make sure he lives a full life and will look into possible larger tanks in the future

right now im changing his water adding the salt and hoping for the best
Old 09-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #10 
Alex09

Quote:
Betta keeping really isn't a cheap hobby
You can say that again - I have already spent over $50 (10 gal tank, decor, live plants) on my little guy. Not to mention the price of the fish himself which was around $13...
Yeah, its kindof sad how alot of people see bettas and goldfish as "disposable" fish.

And I think its a miracle your fish managed to survive in that tiny little bowl for 3 years! How often did you clean it?

Hope your fish gets well :)
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote