Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #1 
Cutar

Help!

Last night I switched my betta to a 5 gallon tank. He has previously been in a 3. I put the 25 watt heater in there last night and the thermometer said 78 so I knew the temp was rising which was good! then this morning I woke up and the tank temperature was like 68! The heater is 25 watts it is not submersed in the water in hangs on the side and it has a round dial on top that goes low ------> high It is right before high! So I threw that on a little higher and put it my mini pad heater just to raise the temp! Is this heater not working? The top of the tank is warmer than the bottom. I do have an ac in my room though it was on 65 all night was that the whole problem?
Cutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #2 
UrsMyrick

I know my AC affects my tanks (they are only 3.65 gallons. I am not an authority om heaters- I am fairly new, but I have read in a few posts that certain heaters will only go one or two degrees above the room temperature. Is your baby doing OK?

Hopefully someone more experienced will get on here and be able to help you!
Good Luck
UrsMyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #3 
Cutar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsMyrick View Post
I know my AC affects my tanks (they are only 3.65 gallons. I am not an authority om heaters- I am fairly new, but I have read in a few posts that certain heaters will only go one or two degrees above the room temperature. Is your baby doing OK?

Hopefully someone more experienced will get on here and be able to help you!
Good Luck

Yeah he is doing fine but the tank is being heated unevenly :/ The top is warm and the bottom is like 70
Old 09-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #4 
Cutar

Its still cold! The ac hasn't been on for 6 hours and the heater has! I have a normal lamp right above it to help a little
Old 09-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #5 
UrsMyrick

Maybe you could fill some plastic water bottles with hot water and float them in your tank to help it warm up a little faster. I have to float ice cube bags in my to bring them temp down so I'm sure that it would work the opposite way. Do you have a lid on you tanks? That may help trap in some heat. The lamp should help it too- it doesn't sound like your heater is working at all.
UrsMyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #6 
Cutar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsMyrick View Post
Maybe you could fill some plastic water bottles with hot water and float them in your tank to help it warm up a little faster. I have to float ice cube bags in my to bring them temp down so I'm sure that it would work the opposite way. Do you have a lid on you tanks? That may help trap in some heat. The lamp should help it too- it doesn't sound like your heater is working at all.

Yeah it really like isnt :/ the tube is hot but the water around it isnt? Im going to try to see if my mom will take me to petco today to get another heater! And thanks for that bottle tip Ill use it!

Last edited by Cutar; 09-04-2010 at 01:36 PM.