Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #1 
funkiplanet

eating other fish's food

So, I have a 10g with a divider, 2 bettas and 2 tank mates. I give the bettas pellets and the other fish snatch them. I give them flakes and the bettas eat the flakes. Is this all good? They seem healthy but I don't know if I am overfeeding them, if I should just feed pellets (the small kind) Should I move to the bigger pellets for the bettas and flakes for the others. Oy!

Any advice?
funkiplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:23 AM   #2 
fishman12

Okay. How many pellets are you feeding and how many flakes arebyou feeding? you might need to seperate the fish at feeding time.

Wait- Are the bettas together or are the bettas seperate with one tank mate each?
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #3 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
Okay. How many pellets are you feeding and how many flakes arebyou feeding? you might need to seperate the fish at feeding time.

Wait- Are the bettas together or are the bettas seperate with one tank mate each?
He said the tank was Divided, One betta with one tankmate per 5G is what the person meant.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #4 
JKfish

While it's not good per say, it won't kill your fish. Many people won't advise letting this go on for too long becase the betta pellets have the proper nutrients for your betta and the flakes for your other fish. Might I ask what sort of tankmate fish you have in there?

If you want to try and stop them from eating the wrong food, you could do what I did. I conditioned my betta to learn to avoid the turkey baster (by chasing him around with it for a tiny bit each day), and then when he started avoiding it, I would put the fish flakes in a bowl of water and suck it up with the turkey baster and slowly squeeze it out in a corner of the tank and let the fish eat it. While the fish eat the falling fish flakes, I gave my betta his 2-3 pellets. After a while, you don't have to chase your betta away with the turkey baster. Instead when he sees it he'll just stay away (unless he's an absolute pig XD)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote