Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2010, 02:39 AM   #1 
FashionD

Does my Betta have a tumor? (Pic attached)

My betta fish has had a rather large lump on his side for the past couple of months. It just kept growing. Now within 3 weeks, another one has popped up (the one closest to his face). I can tell the lumps weigh him down because he swims slightly weighted on his side. He is still eating and swimming, but does spend a lot of time in one spot. Are these tumors? What's odd, if I feel like they sprouted up when I moved him from my living room to my bedroom. The only difference being is it's dark in my bedroom all day. These lumps couldn't possibly be from a lack of light, could they? His tank is heated between 76 and 82 always.

Thanks for any help or insight! I'm hoping he isn't in pain or suffering.
Attached Images

FashionD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:49 AM   #2 
metalbetta

I'm not the most experienced in betta diseases, but that looks like something like dropsy to me...
http://nippyfish.blogspot.com/2009/0...etta-fish.html
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:38 AM   #3 
FashionD

I thought it might be dropsy, too. However, he doesnt have the pinecone scales. He is bloated, obviously, but in two spots. Isnt dropsy only in stomach region? If it is dropsy, what can i do to treat him?
Old 09-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #4 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionD View Post
I thought it might be dropsy, too. However, he doesnt have the pinecone scales. He is bloated, obviously, but in two spots. Isnt dropsy only in stomach region? If it is dropsy, what can i do to treat him?

Pineconed scales start at end stage dropsy, usualy when the fish pinecones, there isnt much you can do.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #5 
fishman12

Bettas live outside in the wild so you should get some lighting from a window. If you have no windows in your room, you should move him to where there is one, because it is a huge waste to have a lightbulb burning all day. You really do need to get him some sunlight. I think Vitamin D is in sunlight and that bump might be from lack of Vitamin D. Good luck! :)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #6 
LisaC144

What are you feeding him and how often?
Posted via Mobile Device
LisaC144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #7 
anglnarnld

I think your just over feeding him...
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #8 
FashionD

I feed my betta once a day what he'll eat I about one minute. I feed him a variety of pellets or dried bloodworms. Lately, it doesn't seem like he's been eating that much. Maybe that's part of his sickness?

I honestly don't believe he's bloated due to being overfed. I've had him about 1.5 years and never had this problem.

I will try moving him into a lit room. Thanks for that idea.

I also bought aquarium salts and put them in his tank to de-stress him. If it is dropsy, what is the treatment?
Old 09-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #9 
Phoxly

My betta could finish his entire canister of bloodworms in a minute, but considering you have had him so long, I doubt its an overfeeding issue.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #10 
Alex09

It partly looks like he's bloated. Feeding him what he'll eat in one minute is way too much. Fast him for a few days and then feed him 3-4 pellets daily with 1-2 bloodworms twice a week.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote