Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2010, 03:34 AM   #1 
NEWBEE FISH

How to know if i got rot fin

i just recently got a betta fish that i won for my daughter at the county fair and i fell in love with the fish... i just recently upgrade the fish from the ( i think was a 1/2 gallon tank to a 5 gallon tank) i notice a gap on its top fin and some gaps on it fin too.. how do i know if fin rot and what can i do to contain it??? ANY HELP WILL HELP...
NEWBEE FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #2 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEE FISH View Post
i just recently got a betta fish that i won for my daughter at the county fair and i fell in love with the fish... i just recently upgrade the fish from the ( i think was a 1/2 gallon tank to a 5 gallon tank) i notice a gap on its top fin and some gaps on it fin too.. how do i know if fin rot and what can i do to contain it??? ANY HELP WILL HELP...
Fin rot appears brown on the edge of the fins/tail. Worse stages look like the tails bloody.

Was he with any plants other fish? if not he might have just bitten his tail.

Pictures would deffinatley help us to help you.

Is the tank filtered and heated? (warm water aids recovery with tails,)

Bettas are tropical fish and need to be heated
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #3 
fishman12

I can't really say much but good luck but i do have a brochure about bettas that has something about fin rot..."Symptoms or Causes-Frayed or disintegrating fins; the base of the fins usally reddens. Suggested Action-Improve water quality(check the hardness) commercial antibiotics may be effective" and also "SIGNS OF ILLNESS-loss of appetite; labored breathing; frayed fin; listlessness; spots or fungus on body or mouth; staying at the bottom of the tank" Hope this helps:)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #4 
NEWBEE FISH

Ok Karl I have him in one of those Aqueon 5 gallon desk tank... with a mini filter.. i have a mini heater and the thermometer says its 82.F... i did have those stupid plastic plants and from what i read that may b my problem.. i immediately took those out.. other than that his activity and eating have not changed... also this may be weird but when i put on the extender/or safety cap to the filter( the one with slots on the bottom so no little fish gets sucked up) my fish likes to let his fins get kinda sucked in then he swims of all excited.. i notice him do that a couple of times before i notice the gaps in his fins... will try to get a pic
Old 09-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #5 
NEWBEE FISH

Thanks a lot fishman.... I bought one of those water test kits that test everything... everthing was normal except thehardness and alkalinty was high and very hard water... my ph wasn't that good too... I'm gonna have to go buy something....
Old 09-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #6 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEE FISH View Post
Thanks a lot fishman.... I bought one of those water test kits that test everything... everthing was normal except thehardness and alkalinty was high and very hard water... my ph wasn't that good too... I'm gonna have to go buy something....
Just a tip here, dont mess with the pH , sudden ph fluctuations can kill your betta.

He should adjust to the ph level that you keep him in
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Karlhague.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote