Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #1 
Phoxly

Small Tank Questions...

I'm considering getting a 2.5 gallon or a smaller hex, but I have some questions..

Do I have to do 100% changes? Why not 50%? It seems like 100% would be such a hassel because you'd have to take the betta out and stress them out. D:

How do small planted tanks work? Do you still do 100% changes on them? How do you change the water with plants in em?
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Do you plan on a filter or live plants? if yes, then you don't need to make 100% water changes-twice weekly 50% should do..

IMO/E-even without filter or live plants the 100% water changes can be two back to back 50% on the 2.5g-5g....leave the fish in the tank remove half the water, refill and repeat. You want to get all the mulm up in the water column however and sometimes this can be stressful and it can be easier to cup the fish for the water changes.

But you would want to make at least a true 100% and cleaning everything with warm water monthly when you don't have a filter or live plants in a 2.5-5g tank
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #3 
JKfish

Phoxly, I actually have a similar question, hope you don't mind if I temporarily hijack your thread?

I've got a 2 gallon that has some hornwort in it and will eventually have javamoss as well. When I get a betta for it, would 3 50% water changes a week be good enough?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #4 
Phoxly

What is "mulm"?

I kinda wanna do a low maintenance 2.5 gallon heavily planted with soil and everything, and have it look very unique and natural. :D
Old 08-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Mulm is fish waste and other organic detritus that collects on the bottom of the tank from plants, food, waste...etc......

IMO/E adding live plants can help keep the water quality better, however, regular weekly water changes are still needed unless you have lots of plants in low stocked tanks-its still a closed system
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #6 
SilverCaracal

I do daily 10% water changes and a 50% every week for the 2.5 gallon. Of course I also have a filter and an anubias, so the water is always clean :)
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #7 
Phoxly

So if I heavily planted, should I to changes on a case by case basis, like testing ammonia every other day?
Old 08-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #8 
SilverCaracal

Ammonia is not the problem in heavily planted tanks. What water changes do is physically remove the nitrate-laden water.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #9 
Phoxly

Well in a small 2.5 gallon, there shouldn't be nitrates cause it doesn't ever cycle.. right? D:
Old 08-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #10 
SilverCaracal

Oops!! I thought your tank was cycled LOL! But a 2.5 could be cycled I think...