Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #1 
shell85

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Downstairs is an aquarium with larger fish and the managuese ciclid seems really really sick. I checked on her just now and one of her eyes is really cloudy and the top of her head seems like its sinking in... like a layer of gills is starting to disappear and she's pale.
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

Not sure but do a full water change immediately and rinse the tank with a 5% bleach solution. The sinking of her head could be HITH.... Not sure....
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #3 
shell85

I checked and it doesn't look good shes now laying upside down in a corner. I wonder if it could have anything to do with a fish that died in there recently?

Its not my tank and the person who owns the fish threw a bunch of ciclid fish in there without really researching as a result the female has bred with another fish and they have a few babies in there. Both parents picked on and killed a jack dempsey and i don't know how long that fish's body was in the tank before it was removed. I saw a video on youtube with a female managuese allowing her young to feed off her but when i saw them picking at her she strangely acted like it was painful. Now she looks really bad and i think the father fish has been attacking cause it looks like she has red bruises on her gills.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #4 
shell85

The fish is still hanging on but still losing color i don't know if the other fish is concerned about her or what because he stays near her looking and the baby fish steadily picking off her.

I'm kinda frustrated cause of this tank owner. He just dumped some melafix in there he didn't even change the water since they killed the jack dempsey and didn't bother changing the tank water when this one got sick. I have no idea what he plans on doing with all these baby fish because there's no way they can all live in this tank and they are half-breeds so i doubt he'll get anything from them if he sells. smh.