Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #1 
napoleon00

Please help!

This morning I noticed that one of the eyes of my betta fish appears covered by some cloudy film. The other eye does not. Maybe one eye is slightly swallen, although he has always had these big eyes (we got him a few months ago). I also noticed a small lump on his back. See the pics.

I immediately changed the water in his bowl and added some epsom salt after reading over the internet. I will repeat this daily for the next days. He moves aroud very much as always although today I noticed he has not eaten his food yet.

Any advice on what this could be? Is there any way to understand whether this could be a sign of TBC? I live far away from any petstore and I was wondering if there is any common remedy that could be used before resorting to chemicals.

Thanks for your help!

Name:  IMG_0603.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0604.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  92.5 KB
napoleon00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #2 
JKfish

Your fish is extremely ill. He has pop-eye (really large eyes) which has resulted from too much ammonia, probably due to not enough water changes. The film is probably some sort of bacteria/infection. Is the salt iodized? if so, stop use immediately and do a water change.

You are going to need to drastically up your water changes and slowly turn up the heat of your aquarium heater. Um I'm not sure what else you need to do, but there are other people who probably can help you more than I can.

Also, if you could answer these questions, other people could probably help you better:

1) what sized tank is he in
2) how often is the water changed
3) do you condition your water
4) do you have a heater in there

Last edited by JKfish; 09-04-2010 at 05:29 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #3 
fishman12

Hope he is better. definintly do more water changes.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #4 
napoleon00

Thanks for these replies. He is in a 1 gallon fish bowl (not an aquarium). It is not heated. We have been changing the water weekly. We give him betta food pellets. This is what we were instructed to do by his owner (we have been keeping the fish for a friend who is on travel oversea - we have had the fish for five months). When we got it, it already had these big eyes. I never noticed any change in behavior or in his body, except for this morning where I noticed the cloudy eye and the lump.
I will change the water daily.
Any other suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #5 
JKfish

Okay, in a one gallon bowl, you definately need to do complete water changes every other day due to the fact that the ammonia builds up quickly in small spaces. To help him heal, once a day is definately a good idea. When you clean his bowl be sure to use scalding hot water (not soap) and scrub down the insides and gravel really really well.

If possible, it's probably a good idea to try and find a tubberware or sterilite bin that's around 2 gallons to keep him in while he is healing. Also, if possible, you should try to go and buy a heater. A member of this site recommends this one http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...57&pcatid=4057 for smallish tanks. The heater is a worthy investment because bettas are cold blooded, so they need warm and steady temperatures to stay healthy and to heal if unhealthy and because if well cared for they can live around 4-5 years.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #6 
napoleon00

I want to give an update on the fish. I have been changing the water daily, adding water conditioner. I also bought a chemical product against bacterial infections as suggested by the pet store. I have not noticed much change so far, although the fish seems quite active to me (in a nice way, not with sudden fast swimming etc.). He still does not seem to be eating and I am concerned about it, but I do not what else I could do (I have tried to feed him with different kind of betta foods but without much luck). Other sugestions? Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #7 
fishmadcraig

You should try him on bloodworms, any fish go's mad for those.

His pop eye looks awful! those eyes are goldfish sized... poor guy.

Really, he needs an aquarium and a heater. Just spend $20 and he should be better in no time! I feel so sorry for him from those pics, Put im in a nice 3 gallon tank heated to 81' for a while and he should be better in no time!
fishmadcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #8 
fishman12

nothing I can say but hope he gets better! :)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #9 
FuulieQ

Poor boy. That's some of the worst popeye I've ever seen. :c

I would agree, he'd probably feel better in a big 2gal rubber bin with fresh, clean water and some places to hide. I hope he can recover.

I'm not sure if antibiotics would be wise at this point, you should probably just follow the advice of the other members. Good luck!
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote