Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #1 
lerapp

So, my fish is constipated...

I have a betta named Gary...I've had him for 9 months now. A couple weeks ago, I noticed he looked kind of bloated, but I just thought he was getting a little chunky so I lowered his portions. I now feed him twice a day, 3 pellets each feeding.
He's been kinda stressed lately, since I moved to a dorm room and he came with me. But he started swimming really strangely since yesterday so I looked up the symptoms and apparently he's constipated. :/

I tried the whole pea trick and everything, but the pea bits sink and he won't eat them. I bathed him in the epsom salt stuff too once a few hours ago, but nothing happened. I guess my questions are these... how long will the epsom salt baths take to go into effect if I do them twice a day as it says? And how would I get him to eat the peas? I'm kind of worried that it'll kill him if I don't do something. He's swimming better, but I never saw him go to the bathroom.

Thanks... :(
lerapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #2 
Capricorn

I'm sort of new to the betta thing, but from what I understand bettas don't do well with peas.. and from what other people have said it looks like you're still feeding him a little bit too much. Other than that, I can't offer much more help. D: Hopefully someone with more knowledge will pop in here.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #3 
lerapp

Unhappy

Yeah, I know...I'm gonna feed him less but, until he starts getting better, I'm not gonna feed him. They can last a few days without being fed...I'd like to see if he goes, but it's apparently really hard to catch one in the act. xD I've never actually seen him go!
Old 09-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #4 
Capricorn

Haha xD

The other thing I guess to ask is about the food.. do you soak the pellets for a minute or so before feeding? From what I've dug up, if you don't soak them in the tank water a little they expand in the betta's belly and can cause constipation.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #5 
lerapp

Hmmh, I've actually never heard to do that, but it makes sense...I'll definately do that from now on, along with feeding him less. I just feel so bad right now because getting to the point where the constipation affects his swim bladder takes a long time...he's slighly paler than normal, too.

Is there any fiber-rich betta food I can buy, you think? Because if he won't eat the peas, then I don't know what else I can do. The salt baths are tricky and stressful since I have to move him to a bowl and he hates that...

My roommate thinks it's kinda nuts that I'm spending this much effort on my fish, but he's my baby. :(
Old 09-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #6 
Capricorn

I believe that frozen brine shrimp are a good source of fiber (again, I've been sitting here just browsing old threads xD), but don't quote me on it.. I'm sure you can find them at a pet store that deals fish.

And you're not nuts! D: I'd do the same thing for mine.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #7 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn View Post
I believe that frozen brine shrimp are a good source of fiber (again, I've been sitting here just browsing old threads xD), but don't quote me on it.. I'm sure you can find them at a pet store that deals fish.

And you're not nuts! D: I'd do the same thing for mine.
Try frozen/live brine shrimp or Daphina.

Both are good at doing the same job as the pea, and are better for your fish..
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #8 
lerapp

Thank you so much!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #9 
JorgeBurrito

I just wanted to add that Bettas can last weeks without food, so need to worry about him starving. It may take several days without feeding for him to clear up. If you put him in a bowl or aquarium without gravel, it becomes really easy to see when they have pooped.
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #10 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerapp View Post
Thank you so much!
Not a problem matey, Keep us updated please
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, constipation