Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #11 
lerapp

Okay, so I bought Mysis shrimp...are those okay too?
lerapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:55 AM   #12 
CDederick

I'm glad this is a recent topic in the sick Betta thread, I just discovered that mine seems constipated too. :( At first I was scared it was dropsy, but his scales don't seem to have a "pine cone" effect, and he looks normal aside from the swelling, so I'm hoping, like you, that he'll get better if I stop feeding him for awhile. I've had him for eight months now and this is the first time something like this has happened. His diet is the same as yours is now, three pellets twice a day. I read that constipation can also be due to a lack of variation in the diet, so that's something to consider. Here's a good page on Betta constipation that I'm reading: http://www.nippyfish.net/constipation.html
Hope yours gets better soon! Good luck!
CDederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:15 AM   #13 
Adastra

Heating can also be a factor that is often overlooked. Bettas need stable temperatures in the range of 78-83 degrees to be comfortable, healthy, and active. Because they are cold-blooded animals, their entire metabolism is dependent on temperature, this includes the digestion process. If your tanks aren't heated, I highly recommend an adjustable heater such as this one: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...8&pcatid=11368

It's a good idea to always pre-soak any dry food your give your betta before feeding. When you feed them dry food, it's analogous to one of us eating uncooked rice. It expands in the stomach as it takes on moisture--causing bloating and discomfort. It's also a good idea to add fibrous foods to your fish's regular diet. I use frozen brine shrimp, daphnia, and blood worms as a supplement to a staple diet of quality pellets. Try to stay away from freeze-dried foods--they aren't very nutritious and they can cause the worst kind of constipation. If you must use them, make sure they are fully rehydrated first and break them into small pieces.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #14 
lerapp

Gosh, these people at the pet shop don't know anything, I guess. They sold me aquarium salt and freeze dried mysis shrimp...I guess both of those make it worse. Of course I bought them, so what does that say about me? Haha.

He's in an epsom salt bath as I type this. I changed the water out so he'll have nice clean water when he gets back in. I'll try peas again...maybe I'll get those blood worms at the store I saw but I'm a poor college kid! Haha. Everyone on my floor is rooting for him now. :)

I'll also make the room warmer...it's usually at 72-75, so I'll bring it up so he's comfier.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #15 
Drift

I would return the freeze dried shrimp if you have not opened it yet, but keep the AQ salt on hand in case he gets sicks. :)
Frozen food are usually not too expensive and PetSmart had them on sale the other day when I bought some Daphnia for the same reason.
Apollo got constipated and I was really concerned. I tried all the above to no avail.
I decided to fast him until it finally came all out. On the 6th day he finally expelled a massive amount of fish feces. My boyfriend and I were amazed with him. XD
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #16 
lerapp

Update!!
I continued his fasting and did a couple more epsom salt baths, as well as give him a couple freeze-dried shrimp every once in a while.
Just for good measure, I e-mailed my Biology professor. I eventually got handed over to a Toxocology grad student here at my school and I described his paleness, slight bloating (but it had gone down since then) and awkward swimming at one point. He told me it was probably an elecrolyte imbalance, in which case I would have to euthanize him because it was very painful to him. But he said he would take a look at him.
So I took him to the graduate student and he takes a look at him, asks me a couple questions, to which he says, "Well, three pellets twice a day is a little much. But I guess this coloring is just how he is. Maybe he's a little fat. But yeah, he looks fine!"
:)
I am super happy that he's not going to have to be euthanized. I'm glad he's all better, thanks to you guys! I really appreciate it!! I guess my fish will just have to shed a few pounds...Hahaha. :)
Old 09-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #17 
CDederick

Wow, good thing you didn't have to euthanize him, imagine jumping to that conclusion before you actually see him though! I tried to euthanize a guppy once, it was awful. I can't imagine killing a Betta.
I wonder what the difference between "fat" and "bloated" in a Betta is, one does sound less serious than the other. My Betta's been fasting for days but he's still fat...
CDederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #18 
lerapp

He says im feeding him too much...he could be just a little chunky, idk. xD How do they euthanize fish?
Old 09-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #19 
FuulieQ

Most people use clove oil, apparently it's pretty humane and painless. I've also heard of vodka being used.

One thing I do know is that freezing is bad, and very painful for the fish, and shouldn't be done.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, constipation