Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #1 
Fawnleaf

Exclamation Newbie!

Hi everyone!!

I am very new here, so please bear with me and guide me in the correct direction if I make a mistake. :)

So, ever since I was little I have had a betta fish. They were always kept in bowls and died after a few weeks. Since I was little, I thought it was normal. The "circle of life". So, around Christmas time I got another one, her name is Folly and she is a female "veil tailed" I believe. :) She's super cute, sometimes blue and sometimes purple depending on her mood and lighting. (She tends to turn purplish when she gets aggressive.) Anyways, I put her in a small bowl, maybe .5 gallons. I know!! I know, but the bowl was sold as a "betta bowl"! I had no idea!! But, I recently read up on betta fish and discovered that they shouldn't live in bowls!! EEK!!! So, Luckily I already had another tank established, but with other fish, like guppies. So I did some research and realized that if I got a tank divider, she would be fine. So I got one today and I put her in. SHE LOVES IT!! Her color came back full blast, she's swimming all over her side of the tank and loves searching it. :) But, because I was hasty in putting her in, I want to make sure I did it right. Could you please read over my information and make sure she'll be ok? Thanks!

A fourteen gallon tank total, she now has about 7 gallons of swimming space. It has a heater, thermometer, filter, lots of (fake) plants, some lighting and gravel. I feed her half "Betta bright" and "Tropical Fish Flakes". Is that ok? Also, although she can see the other fish she shows no signs of being aggressive unless put in the same area with them. She looks great!!! But is there anything I should change? I was thinking about getting an African dwarf frog to keep her company, but I would need a better and more secure top.

Please help!

Peace~
Alissa
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #2 
LoveSGSE

If you have a heater, it's all right. Just make sure she doesn't get a temperature shock. Your betta sounds cool :)
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #3 
Welsh

Does your tank just have guppies?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #4 
fishman12

maybe a ghost shrimp instead of a frog. You should get a thermometer if you don't already have one. MAKE SURE YOUR TOP HAS SPACE FOR AIR TO COME IN. Good luck. :)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #5 
Fawnleaf

Thanks guys!!! Yeah, she has enough room and I have a thermometer. I have 4 guppy fry in a breeders net and 2 female mollies and one male sunset platy. But they are separate from Folly. :) But, I have a question now. She's kinda turning pink near her stomach. Is she ok? She's acting fine, but she looks odd... the rest of her coloring is normal. Please help!!! ( oh, and she can get to the air. :) You guys are so helpful!)
Old 09-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #6 
Welsh

Most people keep their female bettas with mollies and platies, they can be a bit territorial but with enough plants and hiding places I personally don't see why you can't introduce folly to the others
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #7 
Fawnleaf

I already tried, but unforchunetly the sunset platy's colors made Folly very VERY aggressive, and she attacked him. The platy is very calm and does nothing to fight back, so, after 2 attempts, I had to separate them. Thanks for the tip, though. :) So, any clue why she is turning pink?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #8 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawnleaf View Post
I already tried, but unforchunetly the sunset platy's colors made Folly very VERY aggressive, and she attacked him. The platy is very calm and does nothing to fight back, so, after 2 attempts, I had to separate them. Thanks for the tip, though. :) So, any clue why she is turning pink?
Put Folly in a breeding trap, at the top of the tank, so she can get used to all the tank mates..

leave her their for a few days, if she settles release her, if she becomes aggressive again then put her back in
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #9 
Fawnleaf

Ok! Thank you! That's a great idea. But I already have a breeding net in the tank, and we don't really have room for another. :( But my divider is see-through so she can see all thats happening. :) I have already seen her trying to sneak past the divider, but she's too big. LOL. So, is the divider ok? (plus, my breeding net is hard to see out of, she might not see them at all in there. )
Old 09-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #10 
fishman12

If she is just turning pink in the stomach area, i think you should do a 100% water change, but I'm no expert. It might be a reaction to some chemical in the water so do a 100% water change just in case...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female, mollies, new tank, other fish