Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #21 
Drift

When I left my parents I left behind all my pets and was forbidden to get anything at my current residence that could cause allergies. So I decided on fish. I bought some little neons and a bamboo shrimp. Those neons were beyond hardy. I ended up upgrading from my 5g, gave it away, to a 10 gallon. Was the petstore and had this impulse to save a betta from that horrible cup. I bought one those tiny little deco art 1/2 gallon kits. The filter blew him around and it almost made me cry. So I returned it ASAP and found a 2.5 on clearance. :) Bubba was the best betta and I loved him more than anything.
I had an awesome ammonia spike that killed all the community fish in the 10gallon. Bubba got an upgrade to the 10 gallon to himself. He was my spoiled fish. We then bought Urkle to put in the 2.5gallon. My boyfriend loves him and his special needs self. For my birthday I spotted the cutest little crowntail and bought him. He hung out in a spare critter keeper. Then Bubba got sick. I bought Apollo between all this as he was gorgeous :( Bubba after 2 months of trying everything including professional veterinary advice passed away. I got him cremated so I could bury him whenever I own my own land.
With Bubba's death I went out to find the sickest fish I possibly could at Petco. With clean water and AQ salt Swazi was better. He's my most spastic fish. I then felt guilty about this Double veiltail who had been there for a long time because he has a deformity on his tail. So despite my 4 fish self limit I bought him. -_-
Now I'm over my limit and must resist all the awesome dragon scales my crappy petco got in.

I really enjoy my Betta's because they have a lot of personality and are entertaining like any "pet". As cool and beautiful as schooling fish are, they're never focused on you for anything more than food. My Betta's enjoy my company as much as I enjoy theirs. I can also leave them for a weekend without feeding them and not worry about getting a pet sitter or considered being cruel. They're also gorgeous fish and come in so many colors, patterns, and tail types.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #22 
shell85

I really waned a pet but dogs and cats arent allowed where I live and there weren't any ferret dealers around and I didn't want a noisy bird.
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #23 
CodeRed

When my dad died I had free weekends, so the "fill the void" I got a betta fish, and from there another, and another, and another, and so on (;
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #24 
nochoramet

I got my very first betta when I was 10. Because everyone else I knew was getting bettas (it was that betta vase trend) but my little guy Bama (named so because he was a cute red cambodian) lived in a 1g tank that I dutifully changed once a week. It sounds horrible, but he actually lived for 2.5 years. I re-entered the betta fever my freshman year of college. Almost exactly one year ago, September 7th, I bought Purple Rain and Purple Haze because I couldn't stand the fact of not having some sort of companion to care for. I've grown up with animals all my life, and going weeks at a time without the joy they bring me was depressing. I didn't start out great, but then I found this forum and my love, it asploded!! I went from 2 to 6 to 2 to 4 and now I'm back to 3. Soon to get a 4th. I love all my boys :) Haze has gone from a 1/4 gallon to a 10g back down to a 2.5 gallon but he's still grinning at me every morning! Along with Chance and Fru :D
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #25 
Fish So Fly

I got my first Betta Fish soon after I got laid off my job at the beggining of 2009. I got so bored of posting my resume and job hunting that I thought a little fishy friend would be cool to have at my desk. After I got him I also got more and more into the hobby and now have all sorts of fish... and a job!!:)
Fish So Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #26 
Lion Mom

My son's girlfriend (now wife) had one and I was just FASCINATED with "Mr. Fish" - couldn't stop watching him whenever I got the chance.

Went out and got one for myself - a beautiful dark blue veil tail named "Bob" that was with me for a year and a half. Which was pretty good considering he was a pet shop betta & I didn't really understand the whole cycling thing and water change thing. Bob started out in a smaller container, but was soon upgraded to a 6 gal. Eclipse.

All because of Bob, I now have THIRTEEN tanks - a 75 gal., a 50 gal., a 38 gal., a couple 10 gals., five 5 gals. & three 3 gals. :) I have bettas, of course (males & females), cichlids, angels & live bearers.

Lots of work, but I LOVE it!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #27 
Ajones108

Lion Mom - Someone has MTS. ;)

My whole life I have always had a very maternal instinct. Raising my brother and sister, caring for babies whenever mom had a friend who needed sitter care, all sorts of stuff. My first real pet, MY pet, not just a family dog, is my ferret Ginger. She's two years and 7 months old. When I moved off to college I couldn't bring her (I still visit her a LOT), I had no animals to care for and since I'm very maternal I needed SOMETHING. I can't just pop out babies in college. :p

So, I researched bettas before I got mine. 2.5 gallons, pretty gravel, silk plants, safe cave, hydor mini, etc. Intro Shif. :) Got him in July '10. He sat on my desk in my dorm and got water changes like 3 times week. Spoiled little boy. Got my water testing kit, a new heater, anything Adastra and Lion Mom recommended, he he. I decided I wanted to plant his tank once Fall semester started. By the middle of next week Shif will be in his 5 gallon, Survivor will be put into the 2.5 gallon while I cycle the large critter keeper, then Survivor will be going home with my brother possibly in December. Which means I'll have a medium critter keeper and a 2.5 gallon tank unused along with 2 hydor minis... >.>

Lion Mom - Reading back now... It might be me. >.>
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #28 
Lion Mom

"Lion Mom - Reading back now... It might be me. >.>"

You (and I) could be doing worse with our time & money - a LOT worse. As I tell my husband - it keeps me out of the taverns! LOL!!!!

Yup, I DEFINITELY have MTS!!! I also have 3 parrots & a parakeet (a rescue I named Peet the Keet) to take care of. No "Empty Nest Syndrome" for THIS mom whose kids have all flown the coop!!! :)
Old 09-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #29 
Ajones108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
"Lion Mom - Reading back now... It might be me. >.>"

You (and I) could be doing worse with our time & money - a LOT worse. As I tell my husband - it keeps me out of the taverns! LOL!!!!

Yup, I DEFINITELY have MTS!!! I also have 3 parrots & a parakeet (a rescue I named Peet the Keet) to take care of. No "Empty Nest Syndrome" for THIS mom whose kids have all flown the coop!!! :)
I find keeping fish tanks to be very stress relieving. I tend to clean tanks after studying for an hour or so, rests my mind. :)
As for time and money... Hmm...

First Foster and Smith Order - $60
Second Foster and Smith Order - $30?
PetSmart Trip #1 - $20 something
PetSmart Trip #2 - Mr. Betta $6
Five-gallon setup from Wal-mart - $30
Many discount heaters at PetSmart (50W Hydor for $12, Hydor Minis for $6 each) - $24
Emergency supplies for Survivor + Survivor - $30
Plants - $15
Add another $15 for good measure...
Total: $230, not bad >.>
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #30 
Lion Mom

Good Lord, Girl - I don't even WANT to know what I have spent on fish/pet supplies over the years!!! I'm pretty sure my husband would KILL me - LOL!!!

TBH, he is a GREAT guy that loves to see his family happy. :) As long as the bills are paid, it's all good.