Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #1 
fishman12

Exclamation Siphon hose...

Is a gravel siphon hose really needed to clean out a tank? I seen sites that say yes, but they are usually selling, so they want you to buy one. But are they a must have for aquarium cleaning? I don't know, but would really appreciate any help or knowledge anyone can add to this thread. please reply if you know anything about it. PLEASE.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #2 
fishman12

Good Night USA Good Morning UK
Please reply I'm getting desperate.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #3 
UrsMyrick

Well when I first started out I used a cup to dip out the water. How big is your tank? Is it small enough that you're going to have to do 100% water changes? For my one gallon tank I just dip out water for my fish to chill in while its being cleaned then I take it over to the sink and run hot water in the tank and stir it up with my hands. Then I drain it and put the treated water in it,
I think the gravel vac is just more convenient and it does clean your gravel well. Maybe if you don't have the funds to buy one right away you could use a turkey baster- you know stir up the gravel with the tip and the suck up all of the gunk. A little ghetto but I think that could be a temp solution.
Hope this helps!
UrsMyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #4 
Alex09

It is best for cycled larger tanks (I would say 5 gallons and up) as you dont want to do 100% water changes and mess up your Nitrogen Cycle. It is pretty amazing at sucking up all the fish poo from gravel. I got mine from walmart for $9. Stirring the gravel and then cupping the water does work somewhat but not as well as a gravel vac. Been there, done that. Cupping out all the water from my 10 gal would take forever lol. With a gravel vac and a bucket it takes maybe 5 minutes.

Last edited by Alex09; 09-04-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #5 
fishman12

I have the 1.5 gal but am ordering the Hawkeye from Wal-Mart today or tomorrow. I currently just scoop all the water out, put it in my tub and stir the gravel, then add water and dump it out. Thank you for replying.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #6 
Lion Mom

I use the hoses (I have a couple different sizes) on ALL my tanks. Makes cleaning go faster and they help get a lot of the gunk out of the gravel.

So, while it's not a 100% "MUST HAVE" it sure is a ton more convenient, IMO.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #7 
fishman12

okay that is a great help. thanks to all who replyed.