Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #1 
Kubie

Exclamation Help im new!!!

ok so yesterday i decided to buy a betta just out of the blue. now ive had a betta fish before when i was a little kid but when i bought it my parents also bought a plant that it ate off the roots so i never had to worry about feeding the fish i just had to make sure i didnt damage the plant making the roots deadly.

so yeah i bought a beta and hes a beautiful blue and red color. and i bought this Aqueon minibow 1 starter kit deal that has a filter and a light on it. got some gravel and one of those coral reaf rock deals for it to hide in. i understand that bettas breath air but my betta never seems to want to go anywhere but the top level of the tank. and ive tried to feed it and he is never interested. at first i assumed that it was because he was in a new environment so he had no appetite but its been over 24 hours now and im starting to get worried.

please someone or someones help me out to calm my nerves

thanks a bunch
Kubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

Welcome!
Hopefully by now you've learned that bettas cannot eat roots?
How is your water temperature? Bettas need constant 80 degree water temperature and the water needs to have conditioner.
How are you treating the water?
How often are you making water changes?
Do you have the filter on?
What are you feeding him?
In order to help, we would need these answers. There's a little more to keeping a healthy betta than just placing him in a tank.
Good luck with your new buddy!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #3 
Kubie

well the betta that ate the root of the plant lived for 2 years haha it had something to do with the roots producing a layer of film or something that gave the fish its nutrients.

the kit i bought had a water conditioner packet inside that neutralizes chlorine and chloramines from tap water
im feeding him "betta food" i got from petco lol
the filter is on so from what i have read in previous threads i should change the water twice a week or so instead of daily so i have yet to change the water
as for temp i have no idea yet the kit comes with a 7 watt incandescent bulb which gets preaty hot but im guessing ill need to purchase a heater in the near future
Old 09-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #4 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubie View Post
well the betta that ate the root of the plant lived for 2 years haha it had something to do with the roots producing a layer of film or something that gave the fish its nutrients.

the kit i bought had a water conditioner packet inside that neutralizes chlorine and chloramines from tap water
im feeding him "betta food" i got from petco lol
the filter is on so from what i have read in previous threads i should change the water twice a week or so instead of daily so i have yet to change the water
as for temp i have no idea yet the kit comes with a 7 watt incandescent bulb which gets preaty hot but im guessing ill need to purchase a heater in the near future
Betta Fish are Omnivores, Plant or vegtable foods can make your fish really ill.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #5 
fishman12

You should get a heater and a THERMOMETER. S/he is probably in shock from the new environment or the water temperature. Good luck with the new betta! :)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #6 
vilmarisv

The betta-in-a-vase is a very bad environment for a betta for many reasons.

But let's focus on your current fish...
The filters on the miniBow1 are very strong. Is your fish able to swim without being tossed around the tank? I had one of these and removed the filter because my fish couldn't swim straight when fighting the current and he had to race after his food.
I'm not saying to completely discard the filter because I know they are a convinience and reduces water changes but you could slower the flow a bit by placing a piece of pantyhose around the intake of the filter or by placing a piece of bubblewrap underneat the outtake of it.
Do you have the mini bow with the filter under the gravel or the one with the filter over the water?
And as other members said, you do need to regulate your temperature. Too cold water will keep your fish lethargic.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #7 
Kubie

ok well yeah he has issues with the filter so i will probably take it out and replace 50% of the water every day or every other day. so does that mean that every time i do that i need to put in more conditioner??

and this bowl is somewhat small its just under 2 gallons and i am unsure how well the light is heating the bowl so any suggestions for a heater