Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #11 
firefly0101

Ah, most fish room staff were I work are against heaters for Bettas. Just saying. And It should be about 22-25*C for tropical fish.
There are two kinds of heaters that you can get: one is based on a chemical reaction between two metals, and the other has chip technology.
The reation heater turns itself on and off when the metal gets too hot or too cold. So you'll get archs in your water temperature by a few degrees. Which isn't horrible, but it's nnot great.
The one with the Thermostat technology keeps your water at an even temperature - no drastic rising and falling of the temperatures.
The thermostat ones run a little more expensive, but thy are worth it.
(Fluval makes great heaters, by the way. It's what we use in our fish room at work)
firefly0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:00 AM   #12 
Laurenie

First I would like to say that I think its great you decided to rescue that poor betta and are doing your research to provide the best possible home for him! You deserve a cookie lol.

Bettas are tropical fish. They thrive in temps of 76-86 degrees F, I like to keep my tanks close to 80 actually, higher when breeding or treating for certain illnesses. This is why its important to have a heater with a thermostat--so that you can change the temp to suit your bettas needs. There is also much less fluctuation in these types of thermometers and water temp fluctuations can be very stressful to fish.

If you want a nice quality, inexpensive aquarium, try Walmart! They have a 5 gallon hawkeye for $25 (acrylic) that comes with a hood and light and filter--all you need is a thermometor and some decor and you're all set! I do believe you have to order those online though. Shipping is free last I heard on those. Walmart also has a 5 gallon Tetra tank that is glass and also comes with a hood, light, and filter. Its a few dollars more, but still under $30. You can order online but many Walmarts do carry them in-store. Just wanted to let you know you don't have to buy the similar overpriced tanks at the petstore unless you want to lol. You will have to go to the petstore for a good heater though. A 25 watt should do the job.

Congrats on your fish! I'll keep my fingers crossed that he makes it until you can get him into some better conditions. Sounds like you're doing everything you can!
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #13 
Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly0101 View Post
Ah, most fish room staff were I work are against heaters for Bettas. Just saying. And It should be about 22-25*C for tropical fish.
There are two kinds of heaters that you can get: one is based on a chemical reaction between two metals, and the other has chip technology.
The reation heater turns itself on and off when the metal gets too hot or too cold. So you'll get archs in your water temperature by a few degrees. Which isn't horrible, but it's nnot great.
The one with the Thermostat technology keeps your water at an even temperature - no drastic rising and falling of the temperatures.
The thermostat ones run a little more expensive, but thy are worth it.
(Fluval makes great heaters, by the way. It's what we use in our fish room at work)
Most fish room staff are trained to say what people want to hear, not what is in the best interest of the animal. They are a business looking out to make money after all.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #14 
wildmagic713

Okay-

He made it through the night.

He's still alive!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's interesting.... I think heat is the source of his problem.

I let him sit with my desk lamp on close-ish to the bowl (The light is around 6 inches away as it gets very hot) and a hot water bottle last night because the

When I woke up this morning, he was sitting right by the bottle (I didn't leave my lamp on because it could have overheated last night and that would be bad). When I removed it so I could refill it with actual hot water (It was pretty cold by then) he swam all around the tank for a minute before picking a spot to stop. When I put it back, he swam right back over to it and now he's in the same spot he was before.

So I'm guessing that he's there because it's the warmest spot in the tank.

Oh man.... Now my mom is YELLING at me because I want to get him a tank (We don't have the old goldfish one anymore...) and a heater and stuff and she thinks it's stupid and that I don't need it. She thinks he's this low maintenance fish and I keep telling her that the reason why people's Betta fish die in two months is because they don't take proper care of them. But she won't listen.

It's really just because she doesn't want to spend money even though I've told her TWICE I'm spending MINE.

And I've got around $120. Which should be more then enough to get him what he needs (The aquatic animal store near us is very reasonably priced).

So she needs to stop complaining.

Sorry that last bit was kind of a rant.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #15 
fishman12

If you have any bottled water, that is safe for fish... good luck getting your mom on board. Tell her that she agreed to let you get the fish, and if she won't let you take care of it, its death is a skeleton in her closet.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #16 
Euphie101

If your mom/dad is giving you a tough time about the fish, this is what I did: First, I had her buy my fish, and I had it for 2 weeks (not ideal I know) in a big glass vase with some gravel and my desk lamp to heat it. I was religious about chanigng the water and feeding him etc, to show my parents I could keep the fish without them having to go through any trouble. This shows you are responsible. Then I showed them what tank I wanted to buy and how much money it would cost, and showed them were I would put the tank, so I had it all planned out, so they wouldn't have to go through any trouble. That convinced them that I was ready to get a tank for my fish. I got a 5G with heater, hood, and filter. I set it up by myself, and it's been running great for a while now. I also showed them this site to show I knew what I was talking about and I had done some research on bettas to know what they need. You just have to slowly persuade them. It's not ideal to keep a betta in a glass vase for 2 weeks, but he's got a nice 5G all to himself now. :)
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #17 
wildmagic713

YAY!

My dad's home now and we're leaving for the pet store in around 20 minutes.

It does seem to be a heat thing. Because I just felt the water again and it's pretty warm and he's actually moving now and swimming around and blowing little fishy bubbles haha

But I'll be happy to get him in a tank that I know is safe for him.

Soon he will be in a happy nice home with plenty of stuff for him to do.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #18 
Capricorn

If your parents give you a hard time (like mine do sometimes!), I just reinforce that I'm using my own money to fund it. (: If your mom doesn't believe you need the equipment, try showing her this thread and what other people are saying about how to keep them happy and healthy. I did this with my own parents and now have both a nice 5gal for my betta and a 30gal for my assortment of land hermit crabs... though I think by now as long as everything's taken care of my mother has given up trying to curb my habits. xD

Have fun getting your stuff. :D
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #19 
wildmagic713

My mom is giving me a hard time. She's been going for a half hour.

She's screaming about how money's tight and she's trying to save money and what if I want to go out with friends blah blah blah.

I've payed for EVERYTHING I've done since around the fifth grade. I've been buying my own craft supplies and books and things since I was in fourth grade.

I don't know why she has such a problem. My BROTHER is the one who's always borrowing money and stuff. And he's 16 and could go get a job but he's too lazy to.

And I'm not going to be like my brother and go out every Friday night with my friends. I'm not that kind of person.

Side note- He was swimming around a lot before. But now he's just kind of sitting in one place at the bottom of his tank. Do you think it's because he sees his reflection or something and it's making him territorial and guarding? Or could it be something else?

According to the thermometer, the temperature is about 82 degrees (Fahrenheit).

I read that they're most comfortable in a tank between 76 and 86- Well, some people were saying 76 to 82, others were saying 78 to 86, so IDK which is right. But is 82 okay?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #20 
Capricorn

Is he in the new tank now? He might be adjusting.. mine was very quiet the first night I had him in his new tank, but the next morning he was up and swimming all around the tank (he even rides the current on the filter o.O).

We can't really help with your mom I guess, but you have the fish, you have the tank.. it's not like you can return it. She should be happy that you not only rescued that fish but put the effort in to properly take care of it. It's not my place to poke into your life, but maybe she'll come around eventually.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta new need fish help