Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #21 
wildmagic713

Yeah, he is in the new tank.

The thing is, I think when she said I could take him she thought that he'd be okay sitting in a bowl all day long.

But me being who I am, I looked up care for him and it's a lot more then we expected.

So basically, it will take her a few days and then she'll get over it. Like always.

But tonight will be a pain because we eat dinner together. So I may just take my food and eat in my room.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #22 
wildmagic713

Here's his tank:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45952151@N04/4965169458/
Old 09-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #23 
Capricorn

Looks great, I think that's the very same tank I have. (:
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #24 
wildmagic713

Okay- I think he's looking at something. If I print out an image (Underwater background kind of thing) and put it on that side of the tank so he can't see whatever it is that's bothering him, do you think that he'll quit sitting in that same place? Because he'll swim around the tank and then go back to that spot.

I don't have the heater on because the water is at 82 degrees without it. So IDK what's up with him.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #25 
wildmagic713

My mom is ridiculous.

She's blowing this way out of proportion.

She literally packed a bag and left.

Probably went to my aunt's apartment.

I don't get what her problem is. She's trying to make ME feel bad that SHE can't go out and buy whatever she wants. It's not my fault!

Well, he's moving now..... But he won't eat even when I drop food in for him. Do you think it's because he's somewhere new and it's scaring him?
Old 09-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #26 
Laurenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmagic713 View Post
Okay- I think he's looking at something. If I print out an image (Underwater background kind of thing) and put it on that side of the tank so he can't see whatever it is that's bothering him, do you think that he'll quit sitting in that same place? Because he'll swim around the tank and then go back to that spot.

I don't have the heater on because the water is at 82 degrees without it. So IDK what's up with him.
Yay! Congratulations that you got the proper equipment! Its hard fighting with parents but sometimes you know when its the right thing to do.

Covering the sides of the tank might help him feel more secure. I would try covering the back part and the sides and see if that helps.

The water is 82 degrees without the heater? Whats your room temperature? Usually a tank will be a bit colder than whatever room temperature is. You might want to double check and make sure it really is 82 degrees or else he might be experiencing temp fluctuations that are stressing him out or just be too cold all together.

Try not to worry *too* much, he's just been through a pretty stressful time and it will take awhile to adjust. He has probably never had that much room all to himself before!
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #27 
wildmagic713

Yeah- it's at 82 degrees.

I think it's because the tank was warm from when I rinsed it in hot water and the water was kind of warm, plus the tank has a light and it's on my desk by my lamp so it's getting warmth from that. I'm plugging it in tonight though because my room gets really cold at night.

I know the thermometer is right, because I think the water was actually about 90 degrees when I put the thermometer in a few hours ago and it dropped a bit but now it's holding steady.

She's just mad at me because she gained some weight and so she can't wear very many of her clothes and so she's on a diet and she wants to just be able to go out and buy new stuff. And the fact that I went out and spent my money on this just makes her mad because I have money to spend and she doesn't.

I'm just glad he's actually moving around his tank.

And it looks nice too :)

I forgot to get him a castle or something like that so I rinsed off some of the scallop shells we have that we found on the beach in Florida (They're HUGE. I'm not kidding. They are crazy large). I made a little cave out of them so he's got that too.

I rinsed them for a few minutes so they're fine.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #28 
wildmagic713

He's hiding behind the filter now *Sigh*

My filter isn't against the tank wall- it's just how it works.

The tank is hexagonal and the intake part of the filter is about an inch away from the wall. But at the top he can't make it around the corner because it's too small so he just hides behind it.

My mother is back and she calmed down. Thank god.

But he still won't eat.... I really need to get him some Betta pellets.... I don't have any. The pet store only had Betta flakes.

Oh well.......
Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #29 
Alex09

Shells may not be a good idea. I read somewhere that they are bad for freshwater tanks as they can raise your pH to deadly levels over time (but it would take a looong time and absolutely no water changes). But other people say its ok so long as they are aged or if you boil them and do water changes. In any case I would keep an eye on those pH levels.

Last edited by Alex09; 09-06-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #30 
wildmagic713

Oh- okay.

Actually, we've had them for around 3 years. So a long time. And I'm doing 50% water changes once a week- this is just a temp until I can get him an actual castle or something. But he's not really interested in using them so I'm probably going to take them out before I go to bed.

Tags
betta new need fish help