Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #1 
firefly0101

Question Well, there was a bug...

I woke up this morning to find a large-ish Daddy Long Legs Spider in my room. I live in the basement, so this isn't odd. It was on the floor, so I squished it with a paper back book. I then swept it onto a paper, and put the carcass into Pin's tank.

An hour later, there was a lone leg floating on the edge of the tank.

Are daddy long legs toxic to Bettas? I probably should have checked it out first, but he attacked and ATE the whole thing!

Will he be okay?
firefly0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #2 
naturegirl243

Sorry I don't know but next time you feed him a random bug I would make sure it is safe first.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #3 
Alex09

Not sure... I just did a quick google search and found some articles that said those are rumored to be amongst the most poisonous spiders in the world. That humans are mostly safe from them only because their fangs arent sharp enough to penetrate human skin.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #4 
Capricorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Not sure... I just did a quick google search and found some articles that said those are rumored to be amongst the most poisonous spiders in the world. That humans are mostly safe from them only because their fangs arent sharp enough to penetrate human skin.
We have many daddy longlegs where I live, and I believe this is indeed true.. keep an eye on your fish for any signs of poisoning.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #5 
Rie

Daddy longlegs is not "poisonous" and there is no proof at all that it is venomous, no research has ever been done on the venom. The daddy longleg's body is so small that if it is indeed venomous the amount of venom should be so tiny that it wouldn't be a problem anyway.

That said, I would still watch your betta fish. Some animals just can't digest some other species. I wouldn't worry too much, typically fish eat small bugs when they get the chance in the wild. I think the betta will be okay. If nothing else I would just look up bugs before you feed them from now on.
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #6 
firefly0101

Well, I just had a look, and the little mess maker that Pinyin is, just tore the spider apart... the legs are sticking out of his gravel like some sort of arachnid zombie. I'm cleaning his tank tomorrow. He's such a pig!
firefly0101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daddy long legs, food, spider