Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #1 
Moldau

Question New, need help deciding on filter

Hello everyone, I've been looking around on this forum, and you guys have inspired me to get a betta! I've kept tropical fish before, but I'm new to bettas and smaller tanks. I was going back and forth trying to decide whether to get a 2.5 or a 5 gallon, but from what I've read here I decided on the 5 gallon.

I've read the lists and know what all I need to get, however I wanted to focus on getting the filter first so I could get the cycle going while I was getting everything else and decorating the tank. The tank I got did not come with a filter, and there are two I've been trying to decide between. I really want a filter that's as quiet as possible and that will keep a stable cycle. I've read good things about both the Azoo palm filter http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...21&pcatid=9821 and the Red Sea Deco Art Nano Filter http://www.petco.com/product/12148/R...FishFC_Filters

Price really isn't an issue especially since they're both really cheap. The main difference is that the Red Sea is for aquariums up to 3 gallons. I thought that might be better because it would cause a lower current, but will it keep a rectangular 5 gallon (with weekly water changes) clean and give it a stable cycle?

Any help on deciding between the two filters would be greatly appreciated. If this makes a difference, I plan on decorating with gravel, driftwood, and silk plants. Also, I don't mind adding ceramic rings to the filter to help the beneficial bacteria to grow.
Moldau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #2 
BlueHaven

I think both of them are good ones, either one appears to do well.
I like the see through appearance of them, it's cool. :D

lol, I didn't mean to use that word twice.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #3 
Drift

I'm pretty sure I saw some where's that they are the same filter, just under different names. I use them for my split 10 gallon as the current is low enough for Bettas in larger tanks. So basically I have one of those per 5 gallons of water. :)
Sometimes the filters are hard to find, but you can make your own by buying larger ones and cutting them down to fit.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #4 
Moldau

Thanks for the replies. I did notice that they looked the same, but the Red Sea is labeled for up to 3 gallons and the Azoo is labeled for up to 5. I just wanted to make sure that whatever I got would be good for a 5 gallon.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #6 
Moldau

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Thanks! This site's been very helpful so far!