Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #11 
Chicklet

The reason Neons are not recommended as good tank companions for betta's is because many can become very bad fin nippers, However that usually applies to the larger strains of tetra's and not the small neons.

on another note, A 5 gallon tank is to small to house the approx amount of neons it will take to make them happy, They are a schooling fish and require a minimal of at least 6 to be happy.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #12 
JKfish

Like others have said, they are school fish and need at least 6 in a group to be happy, and at least a 10 gallon tank for enough room. 2 in a 5 gallon tank with a betta would be a death sentence for one or another, seeing as they can't get away from each other for long. The neons are known to get nippy if not in proper groups, and of course bettas might get annoyed and decide to chase them. A ghost shrimp or two or a snail are pretty much what I'd advise.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #13 
1fish2fish

#1 Your Betta will NEVER be lonely. They don't have the capacity to be lonely and they are much happier by themselves. Yes some can be indifferent to tankmates leading you to believe that they are happy but I assure you, a betta by himself in a 10 gallon tank would be just as happy, if not happier, than a fish with tank mates.

#2 Your tank is too small for any fish tank mates. You need AT LEAST 10 gallons, preferably larger and well planted so the betta and/or tank mates have room to hide from each other. In a 5 gallon you could add snails or shrimp but you would need to cycle your tank before adding them because inverts do not do well in poor water condition and shrimp need the aeration to survive.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #14 
Capricorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeetrain View Post
+1
Chain petstores dont care much about the actual fish. They make theyre money off of the supplies and tanks. They will promote their products even if they are not the best or are unnecesary.
And youve definately come to the right place for info.
+2!

As I was purchasing a heater for my tank, my mother asked the guy getting my ghost shrimp if I needed one for a betta.. he said (and I quote); "no, bettas don't need heaters. as long as the water is above freezing they survive just fine".

It makes me so sad... they would probably make more money if they told you you DID need all of those things.. or maybe less people would buy them if they realized how much work goes into them.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #15 
ReyesBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn View Post
+2!

As I was purchasing a heater for my tank, my mother asked the guy getting my ghost shrimp if I needed one for a betta.. he said (and I quote); "no, bettas don't need heaters. as long as the water is above freezing they survive just fine".

It makes me so sad... they would probably make more money if they told you you DID need all of those things.. or maybe less people would buy them if they realized how much work goes into them.
Your so correct with that last statement.

I'm told everytime I go to the petstore to get mice for my snake if I need bedding. They always recommend cedar or pine, which I might add is DEADLY to ALL SPECIES OF REPTILES.
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #16 
Rawriie

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhague View Post
Neons are schooling fish, Putting just two together would be unfair to them.

From my experiance neons prefer to be in with at least 10 of their own.
Omigawsh, really? Thanks for telling me!!! Is there any other fish I could put in with Blue though, that isn`t a schooling fish?
Rawriie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #17 
JKfish

In a five gallon, no, not at all. I personally would recommend one or two ghost shrimps. I love the little buggers. They're so interesting to watch, and the way they skitter up and down the walls is funny.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #18 
Rawriie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
#1 Your Betta will NEVER be lonely. They don't have the capacity to be lonely and they are much happier by themselves. Yes some can be indifferent to tankmates leading you to believe that they are happy but I assure you, a betta by himself in a 10 gallon tank would be just as happy, if not happier, than a fish with tank mates.

#2 Your tank is too small for any fish tank mates. You need AT LEAST 10 gallons, preferably larger and well planted so the betta and/or tank mates have room to hide from each other. In a 5 gallon you could add snails or shrimp but you would need to cycle your tank before adding them because inverts do not do well in poor water condition and shrimp need the aeration to survive.
Sorry, im really much of a noob Dx Whats cycling water? Like those products you put in the water? && They don`t get lonely? Omigawsh, Im so happy to hear that! I was scared it wasn`t good for Blue to be alone ;.; Thank-You So Much guys!!!
Rawriie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #19 
JKfish

http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm This explains what cycling is really well.

cycling in a nut shell: 1) add source of ammonia 2) watch the ppms of it rise and fall to 0 as it is converted to nitrItes 3) Watched the ppms of nitrItes rise and fall to 0 as it is converted to nitrAtes. 3) When the nitrAtes reach 5 - 10 ppm do a good sized water change and you are complete, because you have built up a colony of benificial bateria that changes ammonia to nitrItes to nitrAtes.

Note that cycling takes a while to do, but it is worth it because nitrAtes are less lethal and build up slower than ammonia or nitrItes, thus reducing your ammounts of water changes.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #20 
onlyhope1912

I thought my Betta was lonely, so I got a pair cory catfish. They live on the bottom and Mr. Betta can swim on top. My aquarium is only 6 gallons, so I didn't by but two.

I've had bettas before that didn't like other fish. This one loves to watch the catfish and swim with them.
onlyhope1912 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish compatibility