Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #1 
firefly0101

Exclamation iPond or 5 Gallon?

So Pinyin, whom I've had for all of two weeks, has been living in an iPond. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a tank that's probably 1/4 Gallon (the way I set it up) and it plugs your iPod into the side, and projects your music through a built in speaker.

And I know that there's a lot of controversy about the iPond, because it's small, but Pin is a small Crowntail, so he was perfectly happy. Until I went back to school.

The way that the tank is set up is that there's a small plastic plant suctioned onto the bottom, and just enough gravel to cover the suction cup. The rest is full of Pinyin, when he wants to swim. (Most pictures of the tank show gravel half way up the tank. Which isn't cool, it's mean!)

But, Pin has barely eaten, his bubble nest is barely there, and he doesn't swim up to the side to greet me when I come in the room anymore. Should I change to the 5 Gallon tank that hasn't seen the light of day in ten years? I have everything I need (and I work at a pet store), but I'm not getting definite answers from the fish room staff at all.

Pinyin just seems, well, out of sorts as of late.
firefly0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #2 
Zeetrain

I would clean that 5 gallon and put him in that. They need at least 2 gallons. If you have all the stuff then why not use it? Do you have the space to set the 5 gal up?
Zeetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #3 
firefly0101

That's the thing, I don't have the room, and mom doesn't want him upstairs. And I'm not sure if my desk can hold the weight of the tank. It's a glass desk.

Gah, I was told during training at work that Pin only needs 1 U.S. Gallon of water, and he'd be fine. We sell 1/2 Gallons and I've heard good things from the customers. I'm just concerned for him.

Should I change him from flake food to pellet food too?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #4 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly0101 View Post
That's the thing, I don't have the room, and mom doesn't want him upstairs. And I'm not sure if my desk can hold the weight of the tank. It's a glass desk.

Gah, I was told during training at work that Pin only needs 1 U.S. Gallon of water, and he'd be fine. We sell 1/2 Gallons and I've heard good things from the customers. I'm just concerned for him.

Should I change him from flake food to pellet food too?
Well pellet food is actually better!!!

Also, Youd better find a place to put that 5 gal because when winter hits you will need a heater.

Also he is just not a happy betta in that little think!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:57 AM   #5 
firefly0101

Oh yes, Alberta winters... Pin will probably freeze, so I'll talk to the Paradise Team tomorrow when I bring my water in for my weekly test.
I have actually just started with Bettas, so any news is awesome!

And he WAS a happy betta fish, untill I had to go back to school. He won't even look at me, or eat his food. :(
There goes my pay cheque, the bugger has his dibs on it. *sigh*

And what is your opinion on the 7 day Betta feeders? They're a plaster base, and it disolves in the Betta bowl.

Any advice would be great! :D
Old 09-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #6 
Zeetrain

Quote:
I'm not sure if my desk can hold the weight of the tank. It's a glass desk.
If youre tank dimensions are 16 3/16 x 8 3/8 x 10 1/2 then it will weigh around 70 pounds filled with water and gravel and anything else. So I bet youre desk will hold it.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:09 AM   #7 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Oh yes, Alberta winters... Pin will probably freeze, so I'll talk to the Paradise Team tomorrow when I bring my water in for my weekly test.
I have actually just started with Bettas, so any news is awesome!

And he WAS a happy betta fish, untill I had to go back to school. He won't even look at me, or eat his food. :(
There goes my pay cheque, the bugger has his dibs on it. *sigh*

And what is your opinion on the 7 day Betta feeders? They're a plaster base, and it disolves in the Betta bowl.

Any advice would be great! :D
Well Feeders are a BIG no no!!

Never get a feeder because feeders will make the water dirty fast or they will hill your betta with all the food, he will get bloated and die. also feeders will make the water cloudy like i said before :/ big no no!
Old 09-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #8 
firefly0101

Thanks. That's probably the size of it, it's just under the bathroom sink right now.

I know what I'm doing tomorrow, on the holiday...
Shopping at Paradise Pets, tank setting up, and Pinyin will be moving in either early Tuesday morning or Wednesday afternoon...
Two days more in the iPond won't hurt him, will it?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #9 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Thanks. That's probably the size of it, it's just under the bathroom sink right now.

I know what I'm doing tomorrow, on the holiday...
Shopping at Paradise Pets, tank setting up, and Pinyin will be moving in either early Tuesday morning or Wednesday afternoon...
Two days more in the iPond won't hurt him, will it?
No it wont hurt him he will just be a little sad betta untill he getts happier!!:)
Old 09-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #10 
Zeetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
No it wont hurt him he will just be a little sad betta untill he getts happier!!:)
Agreed =)

Tags
5 gallon tank, ipond