Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #11 
firefly0101

It's set up! yay!

But he hangs around the heater alot. Even though he's got a pagoda to explore. He's seems a lot happier and ate one pellet about twenty minutes later. YAY!
:D
firefly0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #12 
bettalover2033

Cool!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #13 
Zeetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly0101 View Post
It's set up! yay!

But he hangs around the heater alot. Even though he's got a pagoda to explore. He's seems a lot happier and ate one pellet about twenty minutes later. YAY!
Pics?
Zeetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #14 
CodeRed

Bettas are attracted to heaters :P It's normal. Think of it as a your favorite room in winter, "The rest of the house isn't cold, really, but it's still not as warm as this spot!" I'm sure you'll see a dramatic increase in activity and probably color as well (: Most bettas love the extra space allowed, and the heater make it more home-y (Bettas are tropical, and are built for warmer waters). Good luck and congrats!
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #15 
ForbiddenSecrets

Oh good I'm sure your little guy is worlds happier now c: moving from 0.2 gal to 5 gallons is a huge and healthy change =D
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:28 AM   #16 
Adastra

Keep in mind that you need to do 100% water changes in your 5 gallon once a week unless you choose to filter and cycle it. The "training" people get at pet stores is abhorrent, in my opinion, and it's a terrible shame that that misinformation is passed on to the customer as well. The simple truth is that the pet store makes more profit off of a low cost made-in-china dinky plastic betta coffin than they do proper tanks with a higher cost. The sooner you realize that your value to the company isn't your accurate knowledge of proper pet care, but your ability to make the company money the better. It's not just fish either, any small animal, be it a bird or a hamster or a ferret or a hermit crab--you can expect all of the care information they gave you to be terribly wrong. If as many people understood the proper care requirements of these animals as wanted them, they would not be nearly as common as they are now.

I suggest researching the nitrogen cycle since cycling the tank will make your life a lot easier in the long run. If you work at a pet store with fish tanks, you should be able to get some filter media to help seed your tank easily, which will speed the process along quite a bit.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-07-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #17 
rejohnson53

If you are interested in cycling your 5 gal, this is a good link that's being passed around the forum: http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
Having a cycled tank means less water changes, less maintenance, and a more stable water quality, which means a happier fish! Although maybe you should wait a bit before you try to cycle the tank, let little Pinyin settle first. :)
rejohnson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #18 
firefly0101

I've cycled his water since he was in the iPond - my manager told me that it would be best for him to have dechlorinator and cycle, even when unfiltered.
And the owners pride themselves on the acurate pet care information that we give our customers... but we are lacking in bettas. It's just that most people want an easy fish, they're first timers, yadda yadda yadda.
And is it normal from Pin to be a little more skittsh in the big tank? All I do is look at him wrong, and he's off pouting in the corner of the tank...

But maybe he's a weird little fish...
I don't know!
firefly0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #19 
Alex09

its impossible to cycle a less than 1 gallon tank. If you could cycle without filters then we wouldn't even need them. Unless you go the NPT style (Natural Planted tank). But that too would most likely need weekly partial water changes.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #20 
fishman12

Good luck with the new tank! :)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon tank, ipond