Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #1 
Dead Sunlight

Exclamation So you want to start breeding, eh?

You must understand that breeding Bettas takes a lot of time and effort, not to mention money too!
You have to plan ahead, do you have homes for the fry when they grow up? Later down the road, you may be stuck with hundreds of Bettas if you can't find a petstore that may take them in. Do you have a goal that you want to achieve in breeding? (Example- Perhaps a new color or finnage type.)
Breeding Bettas shouldn't be about making a profit. (You won't get much, anyways.) I started breeding because I wanted to pursue my love for this truly beautiful fish, and to take Betta fish keeping to the next level.

All I'm saying is that you must be prepared to take up such a responsibility. (You'll know what I'm talking about when the fry come in.) Breeding Bettas is no hobby for the weary. You must be patient, don't rush things. Also remember that there is a high chance for ripped fins, and possibly death in one or both of your breeders.

So you've decided that you're ready, eh? (Sorry for the eh, it just makes me feel smart.)

Well, first things first, have you done your research?
RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!!
You need to research until your brain hurts!!!
Get a general idea of what you need to get the next time you go to your local pet store.
I can't stress how much you have to research, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!!
Do you have compatible breeders? They should be about the same size, if the female is too big or too small, the male may become frusturated for not being able to embrace, and attack instead of spawn. Once I had a female who was too big for the male, and almost killed him.

I know you want to breed, but having heard the possible consequences, you may want to think this over. Once you have done your research, and are ready to give yourself to the wonderful hobby of Betta breeding, THEN can start getting serious, but not before then.

Hope this page helped you notice some precautions to be made before thinking about breeding,

- Dead Sunlight
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:22 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good advice!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #3 
Kokonoko

Pritty good introduction to the Breeding Section of this site, I think! Although, it good use some good chop-n-dice editing for it to look presentable (And I say this because I would love for this to be a sticky ^_^) I would also love editing it for you! x.x I looooove making things look good and smooth
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #4 
Maryrox247

This is definitely sticky material!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #5 
Dead Sunlight

Thanks guys!

I agree Kokonoko, it could use some editing, I did this in 5 minutes and it is definatly not my best work!

I have a bunch of other stuff, so I'll edit and add more!

Last edited by Dead Sunlight; 08-15-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #6 
4X3toni

QUESTION:
Getting ready to do my 1st breeding.
If I don't let the male embrace the female multiple times will the female get "egg bound" like a bird & get sick?
Or will the eggs just get reabsorbed?

I'm a little nervous about the violence of a Betta spawning.
I'm planning on waiting until I can see the female's "egg spot" before I put her w/ the male.
Was thinking of only letting the male embrace ~2times.

Already s/u the tank w/ lots plants for hiding places for my little girl.
Have been conditioning over a week for an hour twice daily after meals.
My male is building nests & is verrry excited & sometimes forgets to eat in anticipation of having his hour looking@ his future bride.
My girl is loading up on the calories & ignores the male ~ 80% of the time.
4X3toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #7 
BettaGirl290

uggggggh. I NEED TO GET A HEATER IM TRYING TO INFLUNCE MEH DAD 2 GET MEH ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote