Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2010, 01:33 AM   #1 
LoveSGSE

I am so fustrated !

Breeding dont seem to work for me!! The pair I put in isnt breeding! Whats more is the male's fin is torn!! And he seems to be bloated, I just fed 5 bloodworms before putting him in the tank, and he seemed alright, but when I took him out, he looks so bloated! I seriously dont know whats wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

It takes a lot of patience. Some fish just don't breed. Try bleaching your tanks (rinse extrememely well!!!!!!!!!) and retry. Add almond leaves and live plants. Be sure to have a filter, heater, and keep the water clean. Condition with frozen bloodworms and freeze dried bloodworms and Hikari pellets.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #3 
LoveSGSE

I did all of the above... I just dont get why the male's belly suddenly got bloated... Argh! What should I do?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:53 AM   #4 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSGSE View Post
I did all of the above... I just dont get why the male's belly suddenly got bloated... Argh! What should I do?
Don't feed him, he just has bloat. It'll go away eventually. One more thing, some fish just don't spawn. It takes a lot of failed attempts to get these fish to breed. Super clean water, super good food=super breeding. The more you worry about it the less likely they'll spawn.

Try getting a large plastic tub filled with 3 inches of water and thickly planted with live plants, Indian Almond Leaf and then introduce the pair. I did this and they lived together for a while and then bada bing!!!! A spawn.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #5 
LoveSGSE

All right, He also got a fin tear. In the past, it was the male that was aggressive. This time, it was the female that's aggressive. I cant really spawn any fishes cause I dont have pairs... What a bother!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:01 AM   #6 
MrVampire181

Are you breeding to produce more of a certain strain??
Old 09-06-2010, 03:27 AM   #7 
LoveSGSE

Yes I am, Im trying to continue the line.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #8 
MrVampire181

Hmm thats what I thought. Maybe you need to order a new pair. Some fish just don't get along. But I'm sure if you keep trying you'll get them to spawn. Like I said try the tub with shallow water and live plants. They seem to like it better.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #9 
Rawriie

I thought you couldn`t put two Bettas together or else they`d kill eachother...How can you breed them when they could turn against eachother? I don`t understand ;.;
Rawriie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

Bettas have to be properly conditioned to breed and watched very closely during the spawning process. Many times you end up with torn and nipped fins due to aggression, sometimes the male or female ends up getting killed by the other. Its not for the faint of heart for sure.

After the actual spawning takes place the female must be removed or they WILL kill each other.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote