Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2010, 02:35 AM   #1 
Laurenie

Exclamation Bettas in need: Rescue or not?

So tonight I received an interesting email. A lady wrote to me asking if I would be interested in taking in some bettas. The backstory on them is that they came from a breeder who was leaving to go into drug rehab. I'm thinking the were pretty young. The lady took some and put them in her 125 gallon community tank. I guess they were ok for a little while but now that they are juveniles they are tearing each other up. She said they look pretty bad. Theres "at least six" apparently, a mix of males and females. The lady seems to feel very badly that they have done so much damage to each other due to her mistake of putting them all together in a community tank and genuinely seems to want what is best for them.

As of right now I have 8 bettas and 3 fry who are almost 2 weeks old. I keep the adults in divided tanks. I do have several extra tanks that have the equipment to be up and running fairly quickly, I'd just need to divide them. I am hoping that there are at least 3 females in the group because it would be much easier to put make a sorority tank with my 2 non-breeder females than to divide every single one.

My heart is telling me that these poor bettas need someone who can provide them with lots of TLC and since I only work 2-3 days a week I have plenty of time to do this. I also have the means to take care of them financially. But my head is saying "you wanna take on 6 more bettas in poor condition right as you're starting your breeding program? are you crazy?".

Am I crazy for considering this? Since tomorrow is a holiday it would be the most convenient time for both of us for me to go get them so I need to make a decision asap. I'm also afraid their conditions will deteriorate every day they are in the community tank together. They are still quite young so there is a good possibility many of them could regrow some decent fins and end up being very pretty fish too (who knows what the breeder was trying to create though).

Any thoughts? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 AM   #2 
purplemuffin

I say, if you can do it, go for it..BUT immediately start looking into homes for them for when they are better! I think you can give them the care they need so they can heal and do better, while working on the breeding program, but if you look early enough you can find people to maybe take them in once they have healed and when you start to get busy with breeding! I bet there are plenty of people here who would be happy to adopt, I know there have been threads asking about it before!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:49 AM   #3 
naturegirl243

I say the same thing as purplemuffin so there is no need to repeat it.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:58 AM   #4 
bettalover2033

I say do it and cure them and help them out!! Dont leave that lady with those bettas that are tearing each other up, i know i would not be able to stand there knowing that!! so id'e go for it!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:04 AM   #5 
Laurenie

Thanks guys . Thats what I needed to hear. Looks like I'll be showing up tomorrow morning with a net and lots of containers lol. If anyone lives in the DFW area and is interested in adopting one of these guys after they're declared "healthy" let me know and we can arrange something. I'll update y'all as soon as I get home with the bettas tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #6 
purplemuffin

!!!! I live in that area! :o Ohhh, that might be a nice thing, if I could get my first betta like this :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #7 
fishman12

Good luck getting them healthy! :)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #8 
puppyrjjkm

Good for you :) You could always ship them to other members here, I'm sure they would be interested!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Keep them medicated (I use methylene blue, aquarium salt, and ampicillin). Their fins should grow back in a few days. I'm sure you'll do great!!!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #10 
Laurenie

I didn't end up picking them up today due to a conflict in schedules but I'm meeting her after work on Wednesday to get them. I think there are seven. It would be awesome if some forum members in the area would be willing to adopt some after I've made sure they're reasonably recovered. They're still quite young.

purplemuffin: PM me with what area of DFW you live in and I'm sure we can work something out :)