Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #1 
Hitorah

My male betta has two little followers.

I've got to thank the administrators of this site. I'm a second-time Betta owner, and convinced my mother to let me get another one after I found this place. The only reason I lost my first Bettas when I was little [perhaps... first year of middle school?] was that we went on vacation and the people watching our house forgot to check on mine.

But, thanks to you all, I've a new fish friend! Yesterday I purchased a Betta and named him Salmon. His scales are a beautiful gold-brown and his fins are a brown which fades to red.
He was pretty slow moving in the store, but went crazy when I picked him up. He was the only male Betta who tried to attack my hand when I tried to get a good look at him.
I got him two tiny Cory Catfish friends- a Green Cory named Maverick and a Speckled Cory named Sandcat.
Whenever Salmon ventures to the bottom, the two Corys will sometimes follow him like ducklings. It's quite adorable, actually- they follow him for a few feet then drop back down to the bottom. So my male Betta's more like a sheepdog than a vicious fighter!

Hitorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #2 
Jayy

Welcome to the forum!!! Very nice betta!!
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

What size is your tank?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #4 
Hitorah

Right now, a 3 gallon, but I'm looking at buying a nice 5 gallon. I wish I could get bigger to give the catfish a bit more room, but, there's no room in the house for 10 gal+.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #5 
zelilaa

I HATE people telling me to get a biigger tank, but seriously, i don't think a three gallon is big enough. i have a 2.5 gall with a male betta in there and it's at 100% stocking level, and 3 gall is barely bigger. Though, I love your betta! The tank is plently big for a betta alone, but i would remove the corys. If you end up getting the 5 gallon, its big enough for two cories (are they dwarf ones?!?) but not the betta. It's one or the other (two) lol. I bet ur parents wouldnt let you have two tanks though.. i know mine wouldnt. so idk what u can do. :s (according to Aqadvisor, even a 5 gall hex with ur fish in it would be 174% full with fish, meaning its 74% overstocked!
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

You need at least a 10 gallon tank (cycled). Corys need to be in groups of at least 3 and a 5 gallon just isn't big enough no matter how you slice it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #7 
bloo97

Welcome! Nice fish.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #8 
Hitorah

1fish2fish- Yes, I know, and it hurts that I can only have them in this little thing for the time being... I'm getting some things moved and I hope to get a 10 as soon as I can.
Bloo- Thank you!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #9 
Jayy

Well... It's okay for now, but make sure you save all you can for your 10gal. I say get the kits they sale at wal-mart. You get the tank, hood with light, gravel, heater, and filter all for around $47 thats a deal!! It may be cheaper at the store.

Last edited by Jayy; 09-06-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #10 
Hitorah

That is exactly what I am looking at. Glad to know it'll be a decent setup, thank you!