Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #1 
Rawriie

Exclamation Animal Cruelty In Pet Stores :|

Im pretty sure everyone here has been to a pet store in their lives, either to just look at the animals or actually RESCUE one. I have always Loved to go to the Pet Store; perhaps I should note that was BEFORE I realized something I had always failed to see.

A thread I had made earlier was replied to by some really caring individuals, and I thought it would be really important to have a thread about it, (if none existed b4.)

So, any of you have seen Betta Fishies in those small, plastic glasses with some kind of colorful liquide in it? Im sure you have...

I went to the pet store, a few days ago, for new aquarium decorations...and saw these poor little Betta Fishies laying on the side, in the bottom of the too-small plastic cup ;.; I had no money to get them and I feel horribly guilty... I really wish I could have... ISN`T WHAT THEY ARE DOING ANIMAL CRUELTY THOUGH? Sure, they are fish, but they are LIVING BEINGS && DESERVE TO LIVE, NO?

Do they wait for them to die? Or get really sick? What happens when they arent purchased by someone loving and caring?

What do you guys think about such cruelty?
Rawriie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #2 
firefly0101

Well, the blue water is medicated for the shipment in, and then they are transferred directly to larger glass jars every Friday (where I work)

And that's why I never go to Pet Smart or PJ's Pets or any big box store.
IT'S DEPRESING!!!!
>:(
firefly0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:26 AM   #3 
Rawriie

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly0101 View Post
Well, the blue water is medicated for the shipment in, and then they are transferred directly to larger glass jars every Friday (where I work)

And that's why I never go to Pet Smart or PJ's Pets or any big box store.
IT'S DEPRESING!!!!
>:(
Where I used to go, the fishies all looked sick and dying ;.; I wanted to save one, (cause thats all I could afford with all the tank, filter, meds etc.. so I picked Blue! Did you do that too? && its really the same with all the animals...like, look at the lizards who sometimes doesnt have those UV light bulbs ;.; && I also heard that when Kitties dont get adopted, whether its in the SPCA or Pet Store, that they get gas chambered.....is that true? I hope its not...
Old 09-06-2010, 01:41 AM   #4 
purplemuffin

The problem with buying the sick fish from a petstore is... They will only replace it with more. Petstores can buy bettas at wholesale prices, much cheaper than what we pay in the store. The money you spend saving one betta will mean three more could take its place and soon suffer the same fate. It is sad, and no one wants to let it happen, but when a fish dies, the petstore LOSES money. When they lose enough money they will buy fewer fish, or be forced to change their practices so the fish will live long enough to be purchased. I've seen stores actually stop selling bettas because they would die before anyone could get them. Honestly, I was happy that they stopped, they would fill the little cups with straight tap water and just leave it. Most of the cups didn't even have holes in them, and they were never opened until someone bought the fish, not even to feed or change water. But they don't sell bettas anymore, and they won't kill them anymore either!!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #5 
Rawriie

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
The problem with buying the sick fish from a petstore is... They will only replace it with more. Petstores can buy bettas at wholesale prices, much cheaper than what we pay in the store. The money you spend saving one betta will mean three more could take its place and soon suffer the same fate. It is sad, and no one wants to let it happen, but when a fish dies, the petstore LOSES money. When they lose enough money they will buy fewer fish, or be forced to change their practices so the fish will live long enough to be purchased. I've seen stores actually stop selling bettas because they would die before anyone could get them. Honestly, I was happy that they stopped, they would fill the little cups with straight tap water and just leave it. Most of the cups didn't even have holes in them, and they were never opened until someone bought the fish, not even to feed or change water. But they don't sell bettas anymore, and they won't kill them anymore either!!
Are u serious? D: THATS HORRIBLE! Why cant someone who has the power to do anything about it!?!?! ITS SO UNFAIR!!!! ;.; So I killed three fishies because I got Blue? Im such a bad person ):
Old 09-06-2010, 02:33 AM   #6 
purplemuffin

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe others bought those three fish, all it means is the store still has the power to keep buying them! People who do not care will not change unless their way hurts more than it helps. Unless they lose money, or lose customers and get a ton of complaints, why change what works, right? It's a business, that's the problem. Money rules in a business world!

The best thing you can do, is report to the higher ups. Sometimes they respond, sometimes they won't. Or, educate people! Spread the word, how to care for bettas, how to know if one is ill, and tell them to tell their friends, and with enough knowledge it can stop. It's EASY to know a puppy mill, because the general population knows what a puppy needs to be healthy..they don't know about bettas, so they will continue to ignore the mistreatment

I admit I have done the rescue thing before. Our snake was one, she was the smallest in a ten gallon tank of at least 40 yearlings. It broke my heart, as she was just so full of the will to live despite her situation...Though it was a long road to keep her alive, she had ticks, infections, diseases, and parasites! Yuck! But I don't regret that purchase, I love my girl and I'm glad she is alive today, I don't know if she would be if I hadn't bought her. But I am upset I took part in that nasty scheme of cheap, sick animals! :( I only buy from breeders now if I can help it, OR local pet stores that actually do their part!

Last edited by purplemuffin; 09-06-2010 at 02:36 AM.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #7 
Capricorn

I agree... sometimes you just have to rescue one.

This is a horrible analogy, but it's like the grocery store I work at.. if we keep buying like, oranges, and no one buys them and they go bad, we buy less or we stop carrying them altogether. Each time I go in to the Petco I just bought my fish at, there are less and less little cups left on the betta rack... hopefully that number will continue to decrease. The next time I decide to bring one home I'll be looking to aquabid or to a breeder instead of a chain-store.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #8 
Rawriie

@ both Muffin & Capricorn-Chan :3

So basicly, if you buy some Bettas that are being abused at the Pet store, they`ll get more on the shelves? Wow...that`s unnacceptable!
Muffin-Chan, you saved a Snakey? How is she doing? Why do they become sick with so many health problems in pet stores? Can`t they treat them too? ...It`s hard to believe that some people let this go when so many other living beings are agonizing...

&& How do you find Fishie Breeders? I want the cruelty to stop ;.;
Old 09-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #9 
Capricorn

Well when you think about it, it's like buying something at the store.. when they run out, they order more of it. It's sad, but that's the way it works. A pet store is a business too, it just deals in animals instead of food.

I know it's sad.. it's the same way with hermit crabs. If people were prosecuted for the way they treat them (and fish as well!) the way they are for dogs, cats, horses, etc, then I'm sure it would be much less common.

As for breeders, you may be able to check your local craigslist for people in your area looking to get rid of them. I've personally been checking out aquabid.com and looking at the gorgeous ones out of Thailand and such.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #10 
Alex09

I guess more people are standing up to betta rights lol. My petco takes very good care of their fish - and even my walmart stocks less bettas. The ones they do sell seem to be better off than what they were 5 years ago.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruelty, pet store