Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #1 
naturegirl243

Question Should I cycle my 5 gal.

So a long time ago we had regular freashwater fish a LONG time ago lol,So I found our old 5 gal. and I really want to put Anardil in it(his tail bitting is getting worse).I will obiously clean it out really well and I have so many things I want to put in his tank they don't all fit in his 2.5 gal. I have Carlisle in an un cycled 5.5 gallon cause when I got it I did not really understand cycling and thought I would mess it up and he is fine. What do you guys think? I would love to put him in it tommorow after I get more gravel and a heater.I don't want to make him worse but I think he would be happier all he does is swim back and forth in his 2.5 gallon.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:23 AM   #2 
naturegirl243

Anyone? I hate double posting but I want to know before I go to bed so I can have a plan of action for tommorow.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:11 AM   #3 
naturegirl243

Ok I am getting views but no answers lol I am sorry to seem inpatiant but I am lol.Any opinions are welcome even if you have never cycled a tank I have never cycled a tank thats why I am stand off ish about it.I don't want to mess up.I also don't want to wait a long time.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:07 AM   #4 
naturegirl243

argg I have to go to bed now thanks everyone for your help.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #5 
balloon

You could keep your betta in the tank while it's cycling, as long as you check the water parameter every so often.
balloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #6 
naturegirl243

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloon View Post
You could keep your betta in the tank while it's cycling, as long as you check the water parameter every so often.
I would but I really don't want to risk messing up and something happening to him. If I do cycle it will be fishless, But I am leaning towards not cycling.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #7 
Rain Drop

A 5 Gallon is pretty big, so doing 100% changes every so often would be a pain....I'm pretty sure I've seen members have cycled 5G. So it sounds like a good idea to me since you would only have to do part changes.

For the actual cycling process, I don't know.....you have to ask another member ;c
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #8 
JKfish

I personally would go for it. You can expect it to take a while, maybe about a month, if you can't seed your tank, but in my opinion it is definately worth it. Puffy was in a little 1/2 gallon tank for several months before I was able to find this site, get a 10 gallon tank, set it up, cycle it, and get him in, and he was fine. (though he did tail bite a good bit until I got him in there). If you can combat his tail biting, and get him interesting in things, then definately wait.

Good ways to do so would be play with him, like chase the finger. Change his decorations now and again, it'll give him something to do. Change the location of his tank occasionally, or if it's too much of a hassel, change what you put by his tank, and change swap them around. You'd be surprised to see how interested he'd get if you were to put something by his tank he's never seen before.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #9 
weluvbettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Drop View Post
A 5 Gallon is pretty big, so doing 100% changes every so often would be a pain....I'm pretty sure I've seen members have cycled 5G. So it sounds like a good idea to me since you would only have to do part changes.

For the actual cycling process, I don't know.....you have to ask another member ;c
i have a ten g that is not cycled and its actullay not as bad as you think to clean it :)
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #10 
naturegirl243

Yeah I am not worried about alot to clean since he lives next to a sink lol,but thanks for the tips guys I might cycle I have to get a better test kit though all I have is liquid ammonia and a ph test.For the rest I just have test strips.I know they don't work but they are actually acurate for ph I checked with both and they had the same.

Edit: Oh shoot I forgot I don't have an extra filter for it to cycle the filter I have anardil would work for a 5 gallon I have the same one in carlisle's tank(5.5 gal.) Should I take the filter out of nars tank?Would he we ok without it I mean he lived in an unfiltered tank before.I used to have a extra filter but Diego is using it *sighs* I have so many fish.

Last edited by naturegirl243; 09-06-2010 at 03:49 PM.