Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #11 
fishman12

Do I need to feed the Cories if there is no algae in the tank? If so, what food do I need to feed them?
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #12 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
Do I need to feed the Cories if there is no algae in the tank? If so, what food do I need to feed them?
IIf there is no algea in the tank just feed them goldfish flakes, what you have to do is put the goldfish flakes on the water then let them get soaked then just lightly touch them and they will fall and the corys will go crazy!!

Also if you have your betta in the tank he will go up to the flakes and suck them up, and then spit it out, and this is fine when they do this because the cory's will just still eat it all!!!:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #13 
Alex09

Just feed them tropical fish flakes (they ARE tropical fish...) and/or sinking pellets/wafers.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #14 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
IIf there is no algea in the tank just feed them goldfish flakes, what you have to do is put the goldfish flakes on the water then let them get soaked then just lightly touch them and they will fall and the corys will go crazy!!

Also if you have your betta in the tank he will go up to the flakes and suck them up, and then spit it out, and this is fine when they do this because the cory's will just still eat it all!!!:)
Goldfish Flakes for corries? they need tropical food not goldfish food.

If theres no algae in a tank they need a substitute. Weather that be pellets or algae wafers.

Mine Get algae pellets as-well as my Tetra Slow sinking Granules.

I
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #15 
bettalover2033

Or instead of flakes what you can do is take a small rock that has very few sharp ends or no sharm end and put it in a bucket or a water pail and let it sit (outside of your house) DIRECTLY in the sun, leave it there for about 4-5 days and you will see that the water had turned green, take the slimy rock out and put it in your take and make sure you have your filter going while its in there, and the Cory's will go nuts as soon as they see the green slim they will shomp it down and this will last for about 2 weeks top.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #16 
fishman12

Ok thanks. The 10 gal tank came with tropical food!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #17 
vaygirl

I use hikari carnivore sinking pellets because they hold their shape really well and the corys get to have a good long nibble on them before they go to pieces and disperse.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #18 
JKfish

Cories can't be expected to survive on algae alone, or betta food scraps. They don't even really eat all that much algae. You'll need to buy them sinking pellets, like Vaygirl said.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #19 
MamaKat

I had an angelfish once terrorize the male betta I had so I vote no.
MamaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

Cory cat are not algae eaters, they need meat....... and regardless any livestock placed in a closed system needs to be fed or they can starve to death-you don't have enough space in closed systems (aquariums) that can provide enough food-the larger the aquarium that is mature can provide some food source for some species but they too need supplemented with food provided by the hobbyist.

Shrimp pellets fed nightly with lights off would be relished by the cory cats......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote