Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #11 
vaygirl

I agree totally. We have a problem here with Loosestrife (an invasive plant). I see that one of my neighbors has it in her garden and now it's starting to creep along the bank of the creek behind my house. First it was one plant, last year it was two. This summer I count 5 or 6. On the bank of the Raritan River it's everywhere.

I would never release an animal into the wild be it fish, or otherwise. I hope everyone here takes rejohnson's story to heart and does the responsible thing.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #12 
ReyesBetta

Is that stuff like kudzu?
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #13 
rejohnson53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyesBetta View Post
Is that stuff like kudzu?
I'm pretty sure Loosestrife if a flowering plant, right? Kudzu is a vine. A nasty vine that grows at an ungodly pace. But they are alike in that they both can grow out of control.

Down here we have a huge problem with Brazilian Pepper, a tree/bush that grows so thick it kills off anything else in the area. I've watched this one patch of it grow into a few acres. And it's related to poison ivy...

In that area there are also a TON of plecos (sailfin catfish/"algae-eaters") living in the canals. I actually went and checked it out and these are the biggest plecos I have ever seen in my life. Larger than my forearm at least. And they're everywhere! And those canals are no place for a fish, the water is disgusting.

I've always wondered why when a pet store tries to sell you a pleco they never ever tell you how BIG these fish get. People just assume they'll stay small and manageable forever and no one will tell them otherwise until it's too late... same thing with most poor unwanted pets that get dumped. They just get too big and no one had the courtesy to warn the potential owner from the get go.
rejohnson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #14 
BlueHaven

Gahh, i've heard of people doing that but I didn't know it was that bad. I agree with you too.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #15 
vaygirl

Yeah, Loosestrife has big stalks of purple flowers. You'll see them on the side of highways a lot with a ton of cabbage butterflies hovering around them.
http://www.macalester.edu/environmen...strife%203.JPG
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #16 
Alex09

Every year during the springtime we get a MASSIVE flock of parrots. Im not sure what kind but they're very pretty. Only for a while though. They stay for a few weeks and make such a loud racket its so annoying. I live in California we dont have any native parrots here.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #17 
sdg30064

Anyone that dosent believe the negative affects can just look at our history books, how many natives died from the common cold when Europeons first came to the Americas.
sdg30064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #18 
nochoramet

Yeah, around here we have kudzu and it is an absolute HORROR
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #19 
ForbiddenSecrets

@Alex09

Mind me asking the general area where you live? I also live in Cali and my school in OC used to have parrots all about like crows during part of the year. It was astounding and extremely annoying at first since they are chatty birds.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #20 
MrVampire181

I got a live plant with snail eggs on it, snauls haven't hatched yet. It does get cold in the winter so would they be ok in a 300 gallon pond (all the offspring except for four or five per tank, so about 20-30 being kept)?
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote