Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #1 
Phoxly

Lethargic Fish >.> Ugh... What could it be?

Okay so I came home from my Labor Day shenanigans, I decided to fast my fish for a day and left their light off for that day too. I came home to 4 tetras who will not eat, and 1 who is borderline dead. My betta also wasn't acting himself. Now it may be nothing, but it had me worried a bit.

I did a water change on Saturday, cleaned my filter media for the first time by swishing it around in the bucket of tank water after the change. Added new water with stress coat.

DOES STRESS COAT+ DECHLORINATE? D: It says it removes chemicals and makes it safe for fish...

My tetras seem pale/white-ish, and the snail population is making itself known. >.> I'm taking care of them tomorrow.

I can't get a full analysis on the water til tomorrow, but Nitrates are good, Ammonia is good, PH is good, temp is around 78 (colder than normal).

Could it just be the day without light + food causing the issue...?

Eh I hate it when these kinds of things sneak up on me when I think everything is just peachy. Right? lol.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #2 
Adastra

I think it's a bad idea to write off your instincts. I have found that every time I had a feeling something was wrong, something was indeed wrong, and usually terribly wrong. I would do a water change just in case. Save a sample of the old water to get tested. Hiding and lethargy are usually a sign of something sinister and potentially very harmful--if the fish show no outward signs of infection and are suddenly not themselves then it could be a systemic infection, either bacterial or viral. Definitely keep an eye on them and get your water tested. At this point, if I were you, I'd probably be setting up a hospital container and isolate the tetra that isn't doing well. I use 2 and 5 gallon rubbermaid/sterilite storage bins as hospital tanks--they're only about $3 at walmart/target, they're safe for fish, and safe to heat.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #3 
Phoxly

Thanks Adastra, I woke up this morning and everyone was fine, buzzing around like they always are. Maybe it was just the tetras but I figure they are the least hardy so if there is impending doom it will hit them first, maybe it was the fasting for a day, but I'll certainly be testing and doing a water change tonight just to be safe.

I've setup a hospital tank, but I can't tell which tetra was the sickly one cause they are all acting normal now, back to their normal color. Maybe they started eating shortly after I went to bed. Odd fish that's for sure.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #4 
Adastra

Good to hear they're all doing better, hopefully they're fine.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote