Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #11 
Lion Mom

" However, i do not want to diagnose him just yet and am going to see how long it is until is heavy breathing starts up again. Today is day 2 of being in the glass bowl. Usually it takes 3-4 days."

If it is taking 3/4 days for the heavy breathing to start, is it possible that he is suffering from ammonia poisoning and actually needs MORE water changes???

Yes, if it were me, I would discontinue the "preventative" drops. IMO/E, the best preventative is regular water changes/cleaning.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #12 
Sivan

Update: It is the end of day 2 and he is breathing heavy again. I will change the tank in the morning. Do those betta water conditioner tablets work? Perhaps I should try investing in those to keep tank levels correct.

I am considering taking him to PetSmart and demanding someone tell me what is wrong with him before I have to, then have that person explain to me why it happens and how to prevent it.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #13 
Ajones108

Invest in a bottle of Prime water conditioner, they sell it at PetSmart in an orange and white bottle. It's 2 drops per gallon of water and everyone here swears by it. Don't waste your money on tablets. I'm a college student too, I understand money stuff.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #14 
Sivan

That's the thing: I only trust Prime! I put 4 drops into his normal tank every water change.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #15 
Ajones108

If you're already using Prime, then the problem isn't your water conditioner. :p
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #16 
Capricorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
" However, i do not want to diagnose him just yet and am going to see how long it is until is heavy breathing starts up again. Today is day 2 of being in the glass bowl. Usually it takes 3-4 days."

If it is taking 3/4 days for the heavy breathing to start, is it possible that he is suffering from ammonia poisoning and actually needs MORE water changes???
Gonna quote this.. seeing as it's not your water conditioner, I really want to guess this is what's wrong. I'm thinking that you should probably not wait until he starts breathing heavily and change his water more often. If anything, clean water should help his situation. That's just what it seems like to me, at least, hopefully someone else will poke their head in here and offer some more advice.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #17 
Lion Mom

Do you happen to have any live plants in with him?

I'm thinking some Ancharis floating in his tank/bowl might help. Don't know for sure, but it can't hurt!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #18 
Sivan

I don't have live plants and I can't afford them. I shouldn't have to change his water every other day, so I wonder what the problem is. Also, when he does breath normal, I noticed his gills pop out from underneath like they are swollen and a little on the side that works harder.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #19 
Capricorn

Well I'm only offering my opinion, but seeing as your tank is 2.5 gallons and doesn't have a filter, I think you should be changing the water every other day. I'm surprised that more people haven't posted to offer their opinions in here, but considering that you're using a good water dechlorinator and nothing else seems to be out of place, I'm willing to bet that's what it is. Feel free to wait for someone else to take a guess, but the people at petco or petsmart won't be able to tell you what's wrong.. they know less about keeping bettas properly than anyone. The most they'll do is test your water to see what its levels are.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #20 
Sivan

That is true. It's just that in the past, none of my other betta fish have acted in such a way and required so much water changing.