Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #1 
Pixierella

Talking Witnessing of Embrace, the new spawn...

Alright so as some of you know awhile ago I tried to spawn in 2 different tanks nearly at the same time and for unknown reasons they failed. Well, today I am here to say that this 3rd attempt at spawning seems to be going wonderfully. First, I started out with my thai male and 2 females, 1 a pearl white fighter betta and 2 a metallic green CT female. They were all doing well last night as they were chasing each other around the tank last night. I left the light on all night and this morning, oh boy, the male and the CT female have been embracing on and off for hours now. I removed the Pearl white fighter betta female because she would distract the other female and they're still embracing on and off. I don't really see any eggs but they're doing what they're supposed to I suppose so I'm letting them be while keeping watch from a little bit of a distance. They've been embracing for at least 4 hours if not more, the female still has her bars. Occasionally she'll run away from the nest for awhile to kind of rest but then she goes back and they do their little dance and they embrace again. Curious on how long I should let them continue...?
Pixierella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #2 
bettalover2033

Let them continue until she runs away and try's to stay away!! also congratz!!!

Pictures video something? lol sorry i want to see too:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #3 
Pixierella

Wink oh yeah, definetely on record :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Let them continue until she runs away and try's to stay away!! also congratz!!!

Pictures video something? lol sorry i want to see too:)
Yeah, I've taken a few then my camera went dead so I had to charge the battery but they're still going at it so soon I'll take more video.
Pixierella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

okay cool so did you post pics of the embrace or the vid?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I have had young breeders spawn for over 12 hours, I would leave them together as the others have suggested until they or should say the female leaves the nest area and does not return, sometimes, not always the male will run her off and he will tend the nest/eggs and anytime he sees her he will chase her in a more aggressive manner.

You should be able to see eggs in the nest, however, sometimes you can't, you will know you have eggs by the males action, usually. He will stay under the nest mouthing the eggs, building on to the nest, general tending behavior.
Some male will move the nest several times, but not always- as each male is different and so many things can vary due to the male, environment both internal and external factor like water pram changes, high traffic, noise, too much disturbance.....etc......
Some male will even eat healthy eggs/fry if they feel the nest/eggs/fry is/are threatened in anyway- in part due to-survival instinct-the male will opt to use the protein/nutrition of the eggs/fry for himself so he will have energy to reproduce again- than to allow something else to eat them...and we (the hobbyist) are a threat in some cases and why it is so important to try really hard to not peek in too often...at least until the male feels safe with you and/or they have had a few successful spawns under their belt/fins...lol......

Good luck...look forward to hearing more and seeing some pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

Mee too!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote