Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #1 
serenityroyal

Question Goldfish care

I'm planning on adding a pair Ryukin Goldfish to my fish family :). Does anyone else own these? What type of care do these fish require, I've done research and all that but I would like some advice. I know they doesn't require the heating that bettas do and that they need a pretty big tank. I don't really trust what the people at the pet stores say because they almost always have the wrong information. So can anyone help?
serenityroyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #2 
Adastra

Goldfish are wonderful--I've never had a tank large enough to own any for myself--but I recently had to intervene when I realized my boyfriend's parents were keeping a fist-sized ryukin in an 8 gallon tank.

The general size rule seems to be 20 gallons bare minimum for one fancy goldfish, and 10 more gallons for each additional fish. It's important to get a tank that is long and shallow as opposed to wide and tall. I highly recommend "breeder" style aquariums--they are longer, wider, but shallower than other styles. This allows for maximum swimming space and surface area for gas exchange, which is very important. A 30 or 40 gallon breeder tank would be excellent choices. 30G breeder tanks can be a bit hard to find, but they're out there! I snagged one off of craigslist the other day for 50$ with lighting and a filter.

The GPH rating on the filter should be 10x that of the gallonage of the tank--so a 30 gallon tank should have 300 GPH filtration. Even with this, goldfish need weekly water changes. They are very dirty animals. Aeration is also very important--many cold water fish, such as goldfish, are adapted to live in high oxygen environments since cold water holds dissolved gases better than warm water. Airstones aren't really sufficient alone--consider powerful filtration and perhaps a powerhead as well.

Keep in mind that this is not a fish you want to do a fish-in cycle with. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to keep up with their waste output--take the time to do a fishless cycle first and you'll save you and your fish a lot of trouble.

As far as feeding, you don't want to use flakes or floating pellets since fancies are so prone to swim bladder problems due to poor diet. Go for high quality sinking pellets and you should really consider researching home-made gel foods, because there really is much to be desired in most pre-made goldfish food brands.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #3 
serenityroyal

Thanks so much for all the info! Though I have a question. Could a fancy gold fish live in a smaller tank then 20 gallons as a temporary home?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #4 
Adastra

I don't think it's a good strategy. You'll end up spending more money for having to upgrade and chances are the poor fish will be stuck in the small tank for longer than they should. Just wait until you can get the proper tank before you get the fish--you'll save money that way. Goldfish are also very social fish and benefit from being kept with more goldies. Goldfish aren't for everyone--they need large tanks and lots of filtration. They can also live very long lives--upwards of 20 years old. Getting them is a big investment of your time and your money. Don't make the decision lightly.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-08-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #5 
serenityroyal

Alright, thanks for all the info :)