Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #11 
MrVampire181

I'll also be posting my experiences with frozen foods because I'll be using frozen BBS with my next spawn.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #12 
PeggyJ

How do I keep my infusoria from smelling? I am also not sure when it goes bad. I have tried several things. First I used fresh water only to realize I should have used tank water. I used tank water in a glass jar, with a lid, lettuce and an algae tab or two. I have tried aerating, leaving the lid off.. adding a pond snail..it still smells bad after a day or two. I tried using a different plant....still smells terrible. What am I doing wrong? Does it always smell that bad? I read somewhere that if it smells it isn't good to feed the fry. So far I am fryless so I have time to try again.

Last edited by PeggyJ; 11-18-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #13 
1fish2fish

My cultures rarely ever smell bad unless they are past due for re-culturing.

I've never cultured infusoria because IMO it's only good for a day or two so I don't know what it is supposed to smell like.

VE are by far the least smelly since the culture is mainly vinegar. My microworms usually don't start to smell for at least a month.

My grindal and white worms are smelly because they have to be kept in dirt and I think the dirt that they came in had a high manure content.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #14 
PeggyJ

I have micro worms.. but I was under the impression that the fry couldnt eat them the first week or so... The micro worms are really easy.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #15 
1fish2fish

Fry can eat micro worms as soon as they are free swimming. The same goes for Vinegar eels and Walter worms.

I prefer to start with vinegar eels for the first few days because they're a little bit smaller and are better swimmers so they're great for fry who hang out near the top.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #16 
bettabreeder123
Banned

Wink brine shrimp choice

well brine shrimp can actually be fed when born. some breeders (like me) feed them once they're born because my fry's gorge on them. they eat and eat till they're really plumpy. i think different size strains of betta have different strains of fry's so some will eat it once born
Old 12-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #17 
beat2020

I just thought I would post my successful feeding schedule with one of my spawns. :)

Day 3-1 week- Vinegar eels

1 week-4 weeks- BBS

At week 4, I started feeding decaps.

The fry took the switch from live to dry foods very well. I'm so glad they did, because decaps are actually more nutritious than live BBS. I plan to eventually introduce frozen BBS,frozen daphnia, and NLS Grow to their diet.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #18 
PeggyJ

what are decaps? All my eggs died again....I am thinking my male is infertile. I am going to try with a different pair next week while I am off for the holidays
Old 12-25-2010, 02:06 AM   #19 
baylee767

Sorry to ask a question in a thread but this seemed like a good place to ask. At some point in time (probably 1-2 years from now lol) I'll be breeding. I don't want to bother with BBS because they sound messy and difficult. How does this scedule sound?

1. Start feeding vinegar eels on day 3.

2. Feed vinegar eels until week 2.

3. Slowely start introducing chopped up frozen blood worms, along with vinegar eels throughout week 3.

3. week 4 stop feeding vinegar eels and feed frozen BS and chopped blood worms. Introduce golden pearls during week 4.

4. start feeding small pellets and more frozen foods and maybe still feed golden pearls during week 5 or 6 (which one?)

5. feed regular feeding around week 7 with full blood worms and pellets and more frozen BS!

I think I'm a bit late with some, but how does this sound?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #20 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Sorry to ask a question in a thread but this seemed like a good place to ask. At some point in time (probably 1-2 years from now lol) I'll be breeding. I don't want to bother with BBS because they sound messy and difficult. How does this scedule sound?

1. Start feeding vinegar eels on day 3.

2. Feed vinegar eels until week 2.

3. Slowely start introducing chopped up frozen blood worms, along with vinegar eels throughout week 3.

3. week 4 stop feeding vinegar eels and feed frozen BS and chopped blood worms. Introduce golden pearls during week 4.

4. start feeding small pellets and more frozen foods and maybe still feed golden pearls during week 5 or 6 (which one?)

5. feed regular feeding around week 7 with full blood worms and pellets and more frozen BS!

I think I'm a bit late with some, but how does this sound?
I think you'll find that you won't be able to feed chopped blood worms at 3 weeks.. blood worms are very hard to chop and even harder to chop fine. I would advise feeding frozen BBS (you can get these at petsmart) if you don't want to do live BBS.

The golden pearls are small enough that you could incorporate them into your feeding schedule early but I would still try to stick with something like BBS.
Closed Thread