Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #31 
monroe0704

A breeder I order a lot of fish from has just offered to sell me some at $25 per package with free shipping... so I will be trying them out soon! I'm liking the easy hatching process for sure! From what I've seen you don't need to roll the eggs like BBS... but we'll see haha. I'm going to hatch some and then feed them to my adult fish and the little baby I got from beat... I'll let you know what I think :)
Old 03-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #32 
Oldfishlady

Awesome...I checked out a google search and found a Arizona supplier and once my e-check thing goes through paypal in 2-3 days I am going to order some and give them a try....they sound really interesting....and pretty much like BBS but freshwater....70% protein by what I read...so good...lol....
Old 03-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #33 
pdxBetta

Infusoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Infusoria

Infusoria is basically bacteria. It is many tiny organisms that grow in plants, etc. You can culture it or you can just add live plants to your spawning tank. To culture infusoria fill a jar with water and add live plants or even hay. Set it in front of a sunny window or a light for a few days and watch as the water begins to get cloudy. *It can take up to a month to get a good culture growing* Re-culture every 2 weeks.

To harvest simply suck some out and add it to the tank. Infusoria is really only good to feed for the first 1-2 weeks.
Very useful article!

In the interest of further education, "infusoria" is not bacteria. Infusoria is protists, which can feed on bacteria. Bacteria are typically ~1Ám (0.001mm), and have no nucleus, while protists are much larger and nucleated. Probably the most relevant protist in "infusoria" is paramecium, which is typically ~200Ám (0.2mm), about twice the thickness of an average human hair. You can see paramecium (barely) with a magnifying glass, while bacteria require a high powered microscope.

The relationship between snails and protists is that snails digest bio waste, and protists can eat snail waste as well as bacteria and algae.

My fry live on "infusoria" from elodea and water sprite in the spawning tank for the first few days of free swimming, at which time I begin bbs, vinegar eels, and micro/banana/walter worms... whatever I have going. To see if you have protists, take a drop of water and put it on a piece of glass. Shine a bright light on it and look through a magnifying glass. You should see very tiny white dots zooming around.

I keep frozen bbs on hand for emergencies, and the slight current from the sponge filter keeps the frozen bbs in suspension long enough that most of the fry will eat it. I have not had terribly good luck with any dry food for the first weeks.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #34 
Sena Hansler

I am using micro-food and they've seem to taken to it... It's a little cloudy when put in then dissapates.

ingredients:Whole egg solids, fish meal, wheat flour, torula dried yeast, fish oils, natural and artificial colors, sodium silico aluminate (anticaking agent).

So am I just looking for rounded tummies with magnifying glass? ;)
Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #35 
1fish2fish

You should be able to see the food in their stomachs without a magnifying glass. IME not many fry take to that pre-made powdered food.

In this picture you can see the fry has eaten.. the pinkish stuff behind it's head is vinegar eels in it's stomach. The other fry had not eaten and did not have that round pink tummy.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #36 
Sena Hansler

I do see most of the fry with bigger bellies than some of the more inactive ones. I also notice mine don't take to egg yolk, but go for the micro-food o_O figure that out... plus the plants "should" have some infusoria. I see some fry with darker bellies, some with glint like (like in the picture!!) in their bellies, and others that are thin... But all in all not many have died -crosses fingers- I also had to take out the dad since he was being mean to the clean up crew (cory cat)
Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #37 
1fish2fish

I'm guessing the potato is to produce infusoria.. there are many ways to use infusoria but IMO it's a worthless food because you can get micro critters by using live plants and after a week you'd need to switch to more substantial food anyway.

Daphnia is a great food but even pros have issues keeping cultures alive, it is too big for small fry too, it would have to be used after they out grew BBS.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #38 
betta lover1507

oh... ok, i don't have live plants =[ besides one that looks dead, and i don't have money to buy one

heyy, i have a question on BBS, how do you get the BBS if you cannot buy them through the internet? howw do you get them by like spawning the brines?
Old 11-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #39 
Sena Hansler

I just use microworms... I have a huge healthy batch I now have to move since it's older, and they've swarmed the entire container x.x they are small enough for baby fry, right next to getting BBS. sometimes fish stores have BBS starters, or you'll have to get the starter kits online. That's all I know :)
Old 12-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #40 
tpocicat

Has anyone tried instant brine shrimp? It's by Ocean Nutrition.
Closed Thread