Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #1 
Bluebetta90

Exclamation I need info

I have 1 male Betta and 1 female Betta in a 1-gallon tank (no divider). They seem to get along fine, but I'm worried that the male might hurt her while I am not in the room. I am not trying to breed them in any way. They are together all day and night. I feed them Betta Bits (no special breeding food). Today, the male was chasing the female around. Is this a sign of aggresion? I need to know if I need to seperate them or keep them together.
Bluebetta90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

Not good! Get them into seperate tanks immediately! Bettas are aggressive and territorial and they will try to kill one another, especially the male. One gallon is too small for one betta in my opinion, let alone two.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #3 
naturegirl243

NEVER KEEP A MALE AND A FEMALE TOGETHER!Sorry but so many people do and it's not good as betta slave said.males live alone or in divided tanks and females live alone or in a sorrority tank with other females.Separate them and do NOT keep males and females together even if they "get along fine".
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #4 
Betta Slave

Agreed w/ Naturegirl... I don't mean to come across as rude, but this happens much too often. They may seem fine one day, but the next day you could wake up to find one dead, and/or one injured.

Yes, as NG243 has said, males can be kept in seperate or divided tanks, and female in sororities- 10 gallons and up, 4 or more females (some people say six.)
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #5 
Bluebetta90

but...

The people at petsmart said I could keep them together, though...
Old 08-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

You'll come to find that the people who work at petsmart are idiots. They read a couple books on how Petsmart thinks fish should be cared for and then go to work. If I were you I would report that employee because he/she went against Petsmart recommendation on that one.

Never keep male and female bettas together. They may seem fine now but I guarantee you in time you'll end up with a dead fish.

Also.. 1 gallon is not big enough for even 1 betta, let alone two. Separate them and try to get them each into a 2 gallon or larger tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #7 
Bluebetta90

I would get them each 2 gallon tanks if I could, but I cant afford it. im only in 6th grade... i dont have a job and rarely get money but get it when i can... my dad said keep them together and so did my mom...so what can i do???
Old 08-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #8 
naturegirl243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebetta90 View Post
I would get them each 2 gallon tanks if I could, but I cant afford it. im only in 6th grade... i dont have a job and rarely get money but get it when i can... my dad said keep them together and so did my mom...so what can i do???
You have to separate them if you can't afford two new tanks at least get one so that they can be separated.If your parents don't belive you or won't let you, show them this thread and what everyone is saying.People at petsmart told me a betta was still alive once when it was in gross water and upside down and not moving.They tried to tell me thats how they "sleep" and that if I took him home he would be perfectly healthy.That shows how much people at petsmart know about bettas.My petsmart is not the worst about the care but the fish was in the back for a long time and was obiously forgotten about.I am sorry the person at petsmart mis led you but they were WRONG! Go back to the store and have your parents complain.....But what ever you do do not keep them together one will die eventually(probably the female) and it super stressful on the fish.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Get a plastic bin.. you can get them cheap from the dollar store or wal-mart and they are usually a few gallons. They make great tanks.

You can also get a gallon sized pickle jar and use it as a tank. Find a way to separate them now because otherwise they are going to get hurt. Tell your parents to google betta care and they'll see that these fish can not be kept together.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #10 
peaches3221

I'm in sixth grade, too! (well, i will be starting seventh grade in one week) anyway, yeah, you need to separate them NOW!! i had the same problem with not being able to afford a real tank, but i use the small size critter carrier things that you can buy online or a petco or petsmart for about 6 dollars. they hold about a half gallon of water (with gravel) for now, just seperate them and put one in a cup or something until you can buy a new bowl
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote