Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #1 
Capricorn

Transporting fish?

This is more of an idle question, it's not an emergency. Since I'm hopefully transferring schools for the spring semester (this one is a five hour drive north from me), I'd be taking my betta with me... have any of you had to move before and take your fish with you? What's the best way to do it? I've considered emptying the tank and using the cup that he came in for the ride up, then refilling the tank when I got up there. I have time to think about this, I just wanted to get some info now.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #2 
Adastra

I would take him in the cup--he'll slosh around a lot less if he's in a smaller quantity of water. Just make sure he has access to open air at all times and that he's not directly in sunlight or right in front of an air conditioning/heating vent. I would put the cup in a small box with newspaper or fabric around the cup so that he doesn't roll around and so that the cup is insulated. He probably won't stress out as easily this way.

It may be a good idea to take some of your home water with you in sealed containers--the water at a different place is likely to be different. This way you can adjust him to the new water more gradually.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #3 
Capricorn

Yeah, that sounds great. Thanks for the input. <3
Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #4 
LoveSGSE

Good luck in school and for your betta!
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #5 
Ajones108

I'm going to add to this thread since I have a similar question:

In early December, early January, and early Summer, I will be transporting between home and school, about a 50 minute commute. Dec-Jan is our winter break and early Summer is the end of my school year.

I always travel with my betta in his cup, but I was wondering, how am I supposed to transport my 5gal tank without throwing off the cycle...?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #6 
Adastra

Just keep all of the filter media wet--not submerged in water, but wet. The bacteria need air to breathe. When I have transported media in the past, I dipped a paper towel in tank water, wrapped the cartridge and ceramic rings, and put it in an unsealed plastic bag. Make sure the media doesn't get too cold. You might want to wrap it in fabric/newspaper in a box with the betta so it stays insulated and doesn't spill.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #7 
Ajones108

Awesome. :) So removing about 50% of the tank water and keeping the filter media wet and warm will keep the cycle held? Is there anything else needed to do once getting to the destination like letting the tank run 24 hours fishless or monitoring anything?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #8 
Capricorn

Thanks for hijacking the thread, I didn't even think to ask that question, Ajones. xD That'd be kind of important to know, hahaha.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #9 
Ajones108

D: Sorry. I needed to know and thought you might be interested. lol
Old 09-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #10 
Ariel1719

Its not as scary as you think! :) in May Bacardi and I drove 5hours from res to my home. He was GREAT. I got a little container with air holes put water in it, it was small enough for him to feel comfortable. I then put him on the floor of the passenger seat (i was driving) covered/surrounded by a towel. As soon as i got home i had a home set up waiting for him so i just ploped him in and fed him and hes been doin great! :D Goodluck!
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote