Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #1 
BeccaBoo

Smile Hello From A New Betta Owner. *Pics Included*

Hi everyone, my name is Rebecca and I just wanted to introduce myself and my new betta, Magellan.

I've never owned a tank before so I have a few questions...if you guys don't mind.

I have a 2.5 gallon Mini Bow, how often should I change the water and filter (the tank is uncycled)? Also, I just got my betta last night and I've tried to feed him twice today but he seems completely uninterested in the food, should I be worried about that or does he just need time to adjust?

And finally, here are a couple of pictures of Magellan and his tank (sorry about the picture quality, I need a new camera).

If you have any suggestions on any improvements I can make, please feel free to let me know.
BeccaBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #2 
ReyesBetta

Your off to a great start! Although you might want a heater, the Hydor Mini is great!

The filter for the Minibows are good, so you might want to baffle it. Try putting a piece of aquarium foam in the intake tube.

Also, try a 75% change a week, imo.
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #3 
karlhague

You will need a heater.

Bettas can take upto a week to settle into there new tank, in which they might not eat.

give him 2-3days to settle in, leave the light off for the first day.

Try feed him in 2-3days, when he gets hungry enough he will eat.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #4 
Capricorn

Welcome to the forums. (:

If you just got him he's probably still adjusting.. bettas also can go for a while without food (that doesn't mean you shouldn't feed him!) so he won't starve to death on you. Keep offering a little bit once a day to see if he'll take it? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. My betta didn't want to eat the day I got him home, but I started the next morning feeding him right as I got out of bed and he seems to have figured out the schedule already, haha. Now he's a bit of a pig. e____e

He's very pretty!
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #5 
BeccaBoo

Hi ReyesBetta, I don't know if you can see it in the picture, but I have a Marineland 10 watt heater in there, it has kept the tank at a consistent 84 degrees...I thought that might be too warm but Magellan seems perfectly happy so I guess it isn't.

I'll definitely look into getting or making a baffle for the filter.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #6 
ReyesBetta

Oops! Sorry. :P
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

84* isn't bad. Isn't the stealth adjustable? It would probably be better to keep the temp around 80-82*... simply because if (knock on wood) Magellan were to ever get sick and you needed to raise the temperature to treat him raising it much over 84* could start to be a bad thing.

What light do you have on that tank? I think the minibows come with an incandescent bulb? If so it would be a good idea to trade it out for a compact fluorescent because incandescents get very warm and that is probably bringing your temperature up.

Magellan is very pretty and your tank is decorated so nicely. Your off to an excellent start!
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #8 
betta99

you got off to a pretty good start! welcome to the forums
betta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #9 
BeccaBoo

The heater I have isn't adjustable it is set to stay at 78. The ones that are adjustable were way too big for my tank. I'll just unplug it for a while and let it cool down.

The light bulb I'm using is the one that came with the tank, but I'll definitely change it if I need to. In any case, I only had it on today for about 30 minutes or so while I was trying to get pictures of him and feed him.

And thanks for the compliments...I'm pretty proud of him and the tank if I do say so myself.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #10 
shell85

Aww he's cute we have the same brand of fishtank :)
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote