Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #11 
Learn To Fly

I have the same tank, and if the lightbulb is the same as mine it creates a lot of heat. This might be what's making your temp so high. My tank is older and came with a base and divider, so I put the base on top and the hood on top of that. It made the light about 2 inches higher above the water so it creates less heat. You could try to do that with something else if you want. I really like your setup and welcome to the forum!
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #12 
fishman12

Welcome! 84 is too high... When I got my betta, he wouldn't eat at all for the first 2 days, but then I guess he got hungry and so he ate and has never had any problems eating... good luck with your new friend :)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #13 
BeccaBoo

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I unplugged my heater and the temp has since dropped to 81. I haven't turned the light on at all since this morning.

But I think I'm still going to invest in a new fluorescent bulb because I really want to have my light on at times but I don't want to cook my betta.

Does any one have any advice on how often I should change my filter?
BeccaBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #14 
ReyesBetta

Just dont keep it on overnight! :P
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #15 
Alex09

The filter cartridge? You dont really ever need to change that (unless its falling apart lol) it just another good place for the good bacteria to grow. They often tell you to chage it every _months but they just want your money :P A good swish in dechlorinated water every few months will be good enough.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #16 
BeccaBoo

Thanks Alex, I definitely don't want to spend the money on new filter cartridges if I don't have to.

And don't worry,ReyesBetta, I would never leave my light on overnight, I'm sure bettas need they're darkness for sleep too.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #17 
Fermin

What a beautiful home you have for Magellan! Sounds like you're off to a great start!
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #18 
ForbiddenSecrets

Your tank looks lovely and so does your boy. Welcome to the forum *squishie-hug* <3

My boy ate the first day I got him but he's such a piggy while my fiancées boy was stubborn and angry [flared at air] for a day or so before calming down and now eats normally [if a little... stupidly. He's got horrible aim the poor dear *giggles*]
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #19 
BeccaBoo

Thanks everyone!

Well, I took the heater I had in my tank back to the store last night. It says it's supposed to keep the water temp at 78* but, as I said earlier, the water temp got up to 84*. So while I was there, I picked up one that I could adjust the temp on and it has kept the water at 81* even though the house temp was at 70*. And now Magellan's favorite spot is hanging out by the heater.

I tried feeding him again this morning but he still isn't interested in the food. He'll kind of swim up to it then swim right by it. I'm using the Top Fin Betta Pellets, is there another kind that you guys think he may like more?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #20 
BettaGirl290

i just got a new betta last night! i already know how to care for ones betta, hes in my pic i neeeeeeed help with a name!
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote