Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #1 
Waterbottle2

A few questions

Hi I'm wondering how long I should leave on my lights for my betas. Also I'm in the process of getting heaters for my tanks. They have airstones. I only leave them on for a few hours a day should it be longer or not? the currents are very soft. Thanks
Also my room gets not much sunlight.

Last edited by Waterbottle2; 09-08-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

You can leave the airstone on all the time. You may want to look into cycling. How large is your tank?

Turn the lights on for 6-8 hours a day. Bettas need a day and night period just like people do.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #3 
Waterbottle2

My tanks are about 2 gallons each. I'm looking into getting 5 gallons though :) i've read up on alot of the stickies but am a bit confused on cycling? I have live plants in all my betta tanks
Old 09-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #4 
Waterbottle2

Ok I just got my two bettas the hydor mini heaters. It said the water was already at 75ish degrees (felt colder) is it ok to leave the heater on alot? I would've bought my other beta a heater however they only had two. I'm going to pet smart to get my third a heater tommorow. If the temp goes up to 81 is that ok?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 AM   #5 
Waterbottle2

Also one i've had for a few days. hes doing well but hes pretty small looks young (is whiteish not pure white) looks like he might be young. Is he? Looks like hes developing color not sure
Old 09-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

As long as the temperature stays stable and stays around 78-80* your fine. Its impossible to tell how old pet store bettas are but usually they are around 6 months old when they get to the store.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:46 AM   #7 
meeka

There should be no need to turn your heater on or off all the time. If the heater has a thermastat it will do it automatically - (like at night when the temp drops a little, it will come on). It should be set on around 26 degress celsius or about 79 Fahrenheit.
If you have plants in your aquarium, the lights should be on for 8 to 10 hrs a day to promote healthy growth.
If you have no plants, then 6 to 8 hours a day should be fine.

When you upgrade your tanks you will need to cycle them.

The easiest way to do this is by setting it all up - so put in water, heater, filter ect and let in run. You can add some Seachem Stability (or something similar) once a day for 7 days or until you get a Nitrate reading. Then you can introduce your fish to their new home. Try to get the old and new tank reading about the same PH and temperature to help reduce stress.

The way it works is that ammonia turns into nitrite and then nitrite turns into nitrate.
Ammonia and nitrite are very toxic to fish and will put them under a lot of stress.

The only way to get rid of ammonia and nitrite is to do water changes and if you do change the water youll have to add some more healthy bacteria (eg seachem stabilty) to the new water, or pour it straight into your filter.

So you will also have to buy yourself a test kit so that you can check your tank for these things.

Im not sure either how to tell the age of bettas, but apparently when they develop a "hump back" they are a little older.

Goodluck and Im sure your bettas will enjoy their new homes

Last edited by meeka; 09-10-2010 at 01:49 AM.
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:08 AM   #8 
Waterbottle2

wow guys thanks so much for the help! I took the stickies advice and got the hydor heater. The thermometers are outside ones i didn't wanna put somethin else in the tank. My tanks do have plants one of them has 3 so they are fairly well planted i wanted them to have something more natural in the tank. The water feels much warmer now so i'm alot happier. However one of the thermometers kinda sucks i guess and its hard to see how warm it is. They even seem more active. I really appreciate it guys
Old 09-10-2010, 02:18 AM   #9 
Waterbottle2

That post really helped me understand cycling! thanks a bunch
Old 09-10-2010, 02:24 AM   #10 
meeka

If you have any more questions I'll try to answer them for you
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote