Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #1 
Ajones108

Betta Rescue - Please Read

I went to Wal-Mart about noon today to find two male bettas in the same cup. Now, these two bettas weren't in the same cup when I went there yesterday. One is a yellow VT (I.. think...) and the other was a bright red and green-ish CT. It was obvious that this yellow VT was being severely picked on. His fins are destroyed, hence the unknown about what kind he is, he's borderline emaciated...

I was going to ask for help to get the betta out of the cup, but I was under time restriction, I had class coming up. For the time being, I had left Wal-Mart, disgusted. However, all through class, I was deeply disturbed about this fish...

So about an hour ago, I went back and got him. Since no one seemed to be working in the fish department, I had to get the red CT out of the cup myself and put him into a watered yet empty CT cup. Maybe someone put him in the yellow VT cup as a sick joke. I don't know. I went by the pet store, bought a large critter keeper (the mediums were out so this fish is spoiled with a 3-4gal tank...) and two new hydor heaters that were marked down, one is a hydor mini (2-5gal unadjustable) and a 50w heater for my 5gal tank. Again, marked down.

I got back to the dorm and filled the large critter keeper a little less than halfway with water, dechlorinated it, added some AQ salt, added some of that water to the dirty cup, dosed the little cup with a drop of methylene blue, and am now floating the cups. The new little fish has eaten three pellets of Atison's Betta Food, a shocker to me, because I didn't know he was going to eat.

This thread will be to update everyone of his condition. Pictures to come soon. I didn't want to support Wal-Mart by buying this betta but... I couldn't let him die in the cup of another. So, I will nurse him, and he will be a gift to my brother. Stay tuned.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #2 
ReyesBetta

Nice you did the right thing.
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #3 
fishman12

I can't help, but that was so very nice. If everyone was like you, that wouldn't of happened in the first place. Its fins are all deysroyed? That sounds bad...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #4 
Ajones108

Here's the poor little thing:

Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #5 
xswornxoffxjello

Poor baby! He's beautiful. Good luck with him.
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #6 
Ajones108

Two more pictures. Just changed out some of the water to include about 75% new water and more methylene blue. Thinking about leaving him in the blue water overnight.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #7 
Ajones108

I rinsed some white Topfin gravel and added it into the new tank along with some clear glass pebbles. I bought a little tent-like ceramic decoration from the store the other day to go in my new 5g tank but I decided the little guy might like somewhere to hide, so I added that in the tank as well. After letting the two things sit a few minutes, I added more of the new water into the betta's cup. It's currently floating still, because it has methylene blue in it, and it also changing temperatures because I just added the hydor mini heater. Once I see where the temperature stabilized, I've decided to just add the little fish tonight, give him room to move and whatnot. Water level in the "hospital" tank is still just below halfway, so since I'm not filling it the full 4 gallons or so, I'm having to keep an eye on that heater.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 AM   #8 
purplemuffin

Ohhh he's so cute!! Poor little guy :( :( He's going to be beautiful when he's all healed up!!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #9 
fishman12

That is very nice...good luck with the little guy. Have you thought of a name?
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #10 
Ajones108

His name is probably going to be Survivor. :p It was my friend's idea, she was with me at the time. I know that if he lasts a week with no new symptoms then he's a lucky fish. He's still alive and kicking this morning. Corner surfing a bit but his fins don't look any worse. I added him into the bigger tank last night, the one with partial water. If anyone has any good advice as to healing him up, please let me know. He's currently in about a gallon in a half of water and AQ salt.