Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #21 
Ajones108

Update:

I left last night to go to a funeral up in Orlando, FL and I came back today with some Maracyn I by Mardel. I also grabbed a moss ball and some Hornwort for my 5gallon and Shif's 2.5gallon. <3

The little yellow fish is still alive, and seems more active. He's eaten a bloodworm and 3 pellets today. However, I worry about the regrowth of his fins. While some places look like they are evening out and beginning to regrow, a couple of his fins have no doubt gotten shorter... So, I'm going to give him a 100% water change, and the water that is going to be put into his tank is going to be dosed with Maracyn I. (If anyone wonders what this does: "For treatment and control of body fungus "columnaris," fin and tail rot, popeye and gill disease in...")

When I went to the PetSmart in Orlando I was amazed and thrilled at their quality of bettas and selection of products. However, I was very worried about the Fin Rot medications. I asked a man in the fish department what they had for Fin Rot because the only thing I could find was the $19.99 pack of Maracyn I. He pointed out Melafix with hesitation and Bettafix and when I shared with him my worries about how they affect bettas he said he knew what I was talking about but those were all they had for Fin Rot that was cheaper than Maracyn and easier to dose in a smaller tank. I then found the smaller packet of Maracyn I and I asked him how he recommended dosing for 5 gallons of water because I can dose 5 gallons with my water change bucket.

"For the Maracyn, take a packet and empty it out into a bowl, and mix it with 5ml of water. This makes the solution of medication for 10 gallons and makes it a liquid, easier to dose. Once you do this, take half of the liquid and mix it with 5 gallons of water. If you want to use it in a smaller tank, just pour out the water from that mixture 5 gallons that you're going to use."

For those of you that never quite know how to treat your Fin Rot due to inadequate dosage measurements. :)

In other news: If any of you are 100% experienced with doing a fish-in betta cycle in a 5-gallon tank with Dr. Tim's One and Only... Message me. I need the heater in Shif's tank because it's a pre-set and the one I'm using in the yellow betta tank right now is not. So, I'm having to put Shif in the 5-gallon planted tank that is uncycled but filtered, lighted, and heated... I need step-by-step instructions, when to test, what to test, what to do if things run high... Thanks very much.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #22 
fishman12

Looks great...good luck wiyh survivor
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #23 
Ajones108

Well, until someone lets me know what to do about that 5 gallon tank, for now I'm only doing a 100% WC on the hospital tank and dosing with AQ salt. I don't want to use Maracyn until I have a stable temperature going in the tank. ANY advice is appreciated. I guess the more you learn about bettas, the less the "experts" can help because you become one yourself. >.< I'm just afraid to make decisions on my own. I fear that being medicated with the Methylene Blue will make him less able to handle the Maracyn, I understand its hard on their little systems..
Old 09-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #24 
Lion Mom

That was so sweet of you and I'm sure you will have him fixed up & looking great in no time!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #25 
shell85

Someone could have done it thinking they were helping the fish i saw a video on youtube and this girl put one into another cup that was already occupied with another betta cause she thought his cup was dirty. some people are just really uninformed.
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #26 
betta99

poor betta. can hardly tell its a male
betta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #27 
Ajones108

Luckily enough, as you saw in the video, he's quite an active little guy. Today he really seems... Bored. But I don't want to put anything in his tank yet, I'm still doing 100% water changes on his tank daily with AQ salt to heal him up. I sent that video to my mom and she was like "He looks so pathetic and like 'I'm all alone in this big tankkk' but he's a cute little guy."
Old 09-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #28 
FireKidomaru

wow! you should get an award for the care and rescue of that little guy. You are an awesome friend and animal lover...it is people like you that make me smile and make me realize that someone out there cares for the safety of our little friends. Im sure that little yellow betta is thanking his lucky stars that you found him and not some ignorant animal abuser. Thank you for caring for him. Unfortunatley i have no advice for your situation. Perhaps you could private message OFL and ask her to look at this thread. Once again your doing a great job of healing a battered fish that needed your help.
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #29 
TaylorW

Good luck with Survivor! You are such a wonderful person to nurse him back to health :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #30 
Ajones108

An update on Survivor - our little yellow friend is doing excellently. :) His tail is growing back, his other fins are filling in, and he's swimming around his half-filled tank so much that I think he's bored. However, I am slow to go ahead and fill his tank up and decorate it yet. I'm still doing daily 100% water changes with AQ salt to help him out and I'm stopping that this weekend since it's going to be about 10 days of AQ salt. No other signs of dropsy, ich, velvet, swimbladder, ammonia burns, etc.... I'll get a video up for everyone who's been monitoring Survivor here later. :)