Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #1 
ParadigmPenguin

Baby BiOrb Moonlight Accessory?

Hey guys. I've just (recently) purchased a Baby BiOrb (4 gallon) for my Betta and love it. I've noticed this accessory, which seems rather cool. Here's my concern, however. Would this annoy the fish or even prevent him from sleeping? I don't know anything about Betta's sleep cycles or tendencies, but if I was a fish I think I'd prefer complete darkness.

Just curious as to your opinions!

Thanks
ParadigmPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #2 
TharBePirates

I've actually been looking into making one of those with some LEDs for my 2.5. From what I understand, corals and various plants benefit from a stimulated moonlight. Since it's stimulating something that comes naturally in the wild, I don't think it would be all that harmful to a fish. They may benefit from it too, but I don't know about that.

Biology aside, I started looking into it because I thought it looked pretty
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

WOW - that DOES look cool!!!

I don't have anything like that on any of my betta tanks, but I do have moonlight strips on my cichlid tanks and it doesn't seem to bother the fish at all.

TBH, the only reason I got them in the first place was because I have some nocturnal fish in my 75 & 50 gal. tanks that I never got to see - and now I do! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

That IS pretty cool. I have a neighbor who has the 4 gallon biorb and she leaves the light on 24 hours a day. It doesn't have a heater so that's how she heats it. She does have a cave thing for him to hide in though, to get away from the light.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #5 
Lion Mom

Like DQ said, if you decide to get that make sure he has a cave or something he can go in to get completely out of the light when he wants.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote