Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #1 
Stewart

Filter for a 2 1/2 Gallon Tank?

I have a single crown tail Betta in a 2 1/2 gallon tank. The tank is a Aqueon kit that came with a top filter and cover w/ light. The filter seems to create too much current and the Betta fish would not be too active so I purchased a Tom Tom 1-5 gallon filter. I have water flow setting to the lowest setting but the Betta is even less active than he was with the top filter that came with the kit.

When I unplug the filter the Betta becomes very active.

This is the second Betta I have housed in this tank and the previous Betta wasn't a crown tail and was larger than the current Betta. The previous Betta was visibily fighting the current but he was always very active. I assume his size and not being a crown tail may have minimized the issue?

So the question is, do I really need a filter for such a small tank? If so, what type can I purchase that will not create so much current?

I have been doing a partial water change every (2) weeks.

Thanks.
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #2 
fishman12

Whoa. For A 2.5 gallon tank you need to do a 100% water change every 3-4 days. If you click on The Habitats forum, There is a sticky that has a few homemade filter baffles. Also, what temp is the water? Is the tank the Mini Bow?

EDIT: You should have a filter for that tank, yes. A good filter with a little current is the tetra whisper 1-3 gallon filter.

Last edited by fishman12; 09-11-2010 at 04:22 PM.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #3 
Stewart

It is a mini bow and the temp is in the appropriate range (the tank gets 10-12 hours of top light per day).

Water changes every 2-3 days even if a filter is used?

I will look at the baffles you referenced. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E- you don't need a filter, however, with filtration you get the nitrogen cycle and this give you a bit of wiggle room.

Without a filter you need to increase your water changes to 1-50% and 1-100% weekly to maintain water quality especially with CT-their fins or rays- sometimes will drop with poor water quality
Unless you have live actively growing aquatic plants

Your current water change is not enough-with a filter in a 2.5g-it need at least 2-50% a week water changes and with one of the weekly water changes the substrate cleaning

The key to success with any species of fish kept in a closed system is it's environment/water....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #5 
Stewart

I thought a 100% water change would affect the cycle and remove the beneficial bacteria?
Old 09-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #6 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
I thought a 100% water change would affect the cycle and remove the beneficial bacteria?
She meant that you need to do 100% changes if you do NOT filter the tank. As for the filter current problem all you have to do is baffle your filter.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #7 
Stewart

Does this mean a 100% change is required because without a filter the cycle will not complete properly in a small tank? Just trying to understand the logic behind a full change.

One other question...when performing a water change should the gravel be agitated or should I only remove debris off the surface of the gravel?

Thanks for all the quick feedback!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
Without filtration you won't get a true cycle-the nitrifying bacteria need a steady flow of oxygenated water to thrive and colonize.

As posted by others-I would try a baffle and see if he will tolerate that better- so you can cycle the tank as well

Nitrifying bacteria are sticky and adhere to everything in the tank-like-the walls, decoration, plants both real and fake, in the top layer of the substrate and in the filter media-very little are in the water column-so water only changes will not usually hurt or slow the cycling process, however, over cleaning the tank and filter media can.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #9 
Ajones108

Can you have a 2.5 filtered tank without a bacteria cycle? Would the filter even be beneficial without the cycle or is it still better for the fish in the water? When I was attempting to cycle my 2.5 gallon (I gave up to give the tank to a friend temporarily) I couldn't exactly get the cycle going. But at the same time I know it's possible. Keeping the filter on the tank anyway, is that still okay even with no cycle?

(/hijack, sorry. I didn't want to make a new thread for a related question and I thought someone might be interested...)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #10 
Stewart

test